Free VPN service?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by beefsalami, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beefsalami

beefsalami Registered Member

Hey guys, are there any free VPN services that are up at the level or come close to some of the paid services we discuss here? I am looking for a good and solid free VPN service.

2. box750

box750 Registered Member

Unlimited or generous bandwidth, different server locations, no adverts and reliable VPN for free? No, I don't think that exists.

3. kupo

kupo Registered Member

On contraire, -http://www.spotflux.com
    Though I don't know if they have different server locations.

4. box750

box750 Registered Member

Yes I've used SpotFlux, they filter all of your Internet browsing in their own servers and block adverts, there is no way to disable this. It didn't make me feel at ease knowing that my browsing sessions is being scanned and filtered. They have a single location in the US.

Their FAQ also claims that they will charge for extra features in the future.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I use SecurityKISS (SK) for occasionally connecting in Starbucks over their open Wifi. The free version of SK has a 300mb limit per day, which is adequate for my needs. There are multiple servers mostly in the US but some are in other countries, and the speed is good.

6. Phil McCrevis

Phil McCrevis Registered Member

SecurityKISS

I downloaded and tried the free version and was surprised at the speeds. Twice as fast as the current VPN i'm using/paying for. Best I got was around 10-11mbit and ping around 65. Went ahead and got the paid version (kinda PITA to pay for) however I really like them so far.

Couple features I like: http://www.securitykiss.com/resources/articles/exclusive_tunneling/ and the fact that I can go to the client area and view the load on each server to see which one will be best to use.

THANKS Victek123

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Glad to hear it's working for you. By the way, where is the "client area" where you can check server load? Also, your thoughts on connecting via UDP Vs TCP...?

8. Phil McCrevis

Phil McCrevis Registered Member

To access the client area go to www.securitykiss.com and look in the upper right hand corner. As far as I know you can only access this is you're a paying member. As far as UDP Vs TCP, I would normally use UDP as it should be faster and as far as I know there is no difference security wise. I am actually getting slightly faster download speeds using TCP however the upload speed is less then half (which is not really important to me).

I purchased the 30GB/Month package for three months and will see how it works out.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Ah, server status is on the website, thanks. I was looking in the VPN client. I do have a subscription and I will see if I can access it. Thanks for the info regarding TCP and UDP. I need to experiment.

10. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

FWIW I have been researching VPNs for the last couple of weeks and I have been really impressed by the free version of SecurityKISS.

300MB per day is perfect for someone who wants to use it for occasional surfing and it has been a great performer in every way.

I have used a number of different SK servers including the US, France, and Poland, and all worked very well. I'm not sure why, but the Poland server is not available in the US for free subscribers now I am back home but it was available to me in France.

I also have SK on my Android tablet using encrypted PPTP. SecurityKISS website indicates that encrypted PPTP may not work on Android, but I have used it a couple of times without problems.

I also plan to try PrivateTunnel and Witopia. These both have the features I'm looking for with a pricing plan that will work for me.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you say more about using SecurityKISS on android? Are you sure it was working? Do you know of an easy way to confirm the connection is encrypted?

I used Witopia for a couple of years - performance and reliability were excellent. If and when I go back to a paid service they will be on the short list.

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Haven't tried it, but it looks seriously limited if you want to use the free option.

14. chinook9

I just put CyberGhost on my wife's laptop. It installed easily but it made me close any open browsers before it would connect. Also, (not a bad thing) I thought for free accounts it would only use servers in the US but I connected twice and it used servers in Germany both times. I think the constraint for Cyberchost will be the 1GB a month limit for free accounts. I was also bothered by the attempts to get me to upgrade. Not a bad price to pay for a free account but I thought it was a bit too much.

Right now I'd give the nod to SecurityKiss for free accounts.

15. chinook9

I will check it out more on android. I only tried it for a couple of minutes and it appeared to work OK and I had it set up as PPTP encrypted. I have no way of knowing if it is actually encrypted.

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh I see. So CyberGhost is :thumbd:. How is Raptor VPN(now spotflux)?

17. chinook9

Haven't tried Spotflux. I would have tried it because it appears to be totally free but it requires Java and I don't have Java on this machine. I read in a couple of places that it may be hard to uninstall but I don't think I would let that stop me as long as I set up a restore point if I changed my mind.

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Well then SecurityKiss Tunnel is the best option I guess. The only problem for me is that the servers for free service are located too far away to transfer enough data in time for my browser to load a page.:'( Otherwise I really liked it. It is so simple to setup and no hassle in registration, obtrusive ads, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.