Free Up System Memory In XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I've noticed over the years that especially with some AV apps, or things similar, that when first starting XP many of these applications use up quite a bit of ram as they get started, doing their thing, scanning in the background, etc., or just getting loaded.

Then with all the ram being used it seems like XP never gets it back, you look at the Task Manager as as example only have one Window open to see the ram is at like 500MB of usage. For me av apps and the like are the biggest problem of sucking up the ram on startup and never getting it back.

It the past I used programs for flushing the ram, clearing it out, but have drifted away from such practices.

Are there really any apps to use that do help flush/clear out ram that are worthwhile to have for such situations?

I used one in the past I can't remember the name, but if I do I'll post it here...

I know there are a lot of apps out there, just wondering how much fact from fiction all this is and if there is something that really helps and is safe?

THANKS

2. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I've heard of CleanMem, Shane is the developer?

Do you use this?

THANKS

4. JuanP1000

JuanP1000 Registered Member

I use CleanMem and it has been great, keeps memory usage low.. I have set it to run every 10 minutes instead the default 30 minutes :thumb:

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yeah I have it installed right now running every 10mins with some apps in the log settings;

;start list here on next line
    a2guard.exe
    a2service.exe
    communicator.exe
    firefox.exe
    iexplorer.exe
    OUTLOOK.EXE
    plugin-container.exe

I hope this thing works good...

THANKS

6. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Hi DasFox,

Since CleanMem uses EmptyWorkingSet API - like 'empty.exe' MS tool - I think it could not empty working set for the processes like 'a2guard.exe' and/or 'a2service.exe'.

Can you check that to me? Thanks in advance.

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I've been trying the free MemBoost by Rizone for a few weeks. No problems with it and very light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.