FREE - Runtime Live CD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CloneRanger, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Make SURE you read the Important note: at the bottom of the page !

It says "free of charge for users of our data recovery software" but the ISO "appears" to be freely downloadable to Anyone. Is it actually Free for everyone to use, or ?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi CloneRanger,

Download - free of charge - check!

If you download and boot up the Live CD/USB flash, and use their software - free of charge - check!

However, it is not as if they ported their software to Linux, as their executables run is a Wine environment.

Since it is tagged as experimental, and their disclaimer looks like the user retains the risk of running their software in that kind of an emulated environment - I would not expect them to charge anyone a fee if you run into a problem which they don't support.

If they were going to charge a fee, it would be upfront, and it would probably be a download fee since they have no intention of supporting any problems if they occur. They just want to use the notion of a Live CD/USB to get users to try their software and potentially buy their product if they have a good experience with it.

-- Tom

3. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

This looks to be an extremely useful product.I'm going to download it and give it a go,very nice find.:thumb:

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Cannot get much download speed for this, have had to abort.

Anyone else finding the download really, really slow?

5. andyman35

I managed to download it ok,but when I ran it I found that GetDataBack is an unlicensed trial version which doesn't allow lost files to be saved.

The other utilities are presumably the same since I didn't bother testing further.At least it's clear now why it was stated that it's free for users of the premium software,you'll need to input your license key each time you use it.One good thing is that the free DriveimageXML is fully functional.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for the feedback andyman.

I won't keep trying to download this anymore :)

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi guys & girl ;)

Thanks for the clarifications :thumb:

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I downloaded it too.

I checked out the Drive Image XML on the disk. I had always avoided DI XML because you had to create your own PE disc and never liked the hassle.

Well, I do not understand the love by some for DI XML here because the GUI for DI XML is not to my liking. While it is a GUI, IMO, it's un-user friendly enough that I would never consider using it. Add to that, it would not allow a user to save a backup image to an external hard drive.

Disappointed! :(

9. andyman35

Most likely the hardware support is incomplete in this version.

DIXML has never been the prettiest of apps,but in fairness I always found it to be very stable and used it myself before discovering Macrium Reflect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.