Free AVG Internet Security 2015 (100% discount)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zmechys, Jan 10, 2015.

1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I used to like AVG a lot a few years back. I had it on both my pc and family pc. But then it started having ever increasing number of processes. It became heavier. It wouldn't even uninstall. Finally it broke both systems. I would never go anywhere near AVG.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It seems to be fairly heavy. It did not last long on my computer as the combination of AVG and Roboscan caused a BSOD when I rebooted. After I eliminated the cause of the BSOD, it seemed like the best option was to uninstall AVG and leave Roboscan installed.

3. Ripcord

Ripcord Registered Member

Was it version 7 that AVG rocked...after that it's been down hill for AVG ever since...:(

4. ance

ance formerly: fmon

AVG is really heavy these days, bring back the old Grisoft 7.5! :D

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I've used every AVG version since 7.5 and the worst was the 8.x and 9.x series. The new 2014/2015 range is not that heavy to be honest.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Good answer ;)

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

My condolences.

8. Firecat

I'd rather say that to Symantec (and Quick Heal) users. :)

9. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Even when it finds stuff and "access" is denied to the file to remove it, that`s it.Not a peep about it or any offers for online help just like it never existed.If it can`t remove it AVG denies it`s existance and buries it`s head in the sand.

Apart from that it`s probably not too bad as it did back in the day save my P4 rig that norton couldn`t fix.

Regards Eck:)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  10. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

+1

11. Firecat

But it doesn't remove them from the history or the scan logs, and a user is expected to contact support when this happens.

12. Firecat

I believe AVG gave Ewido users a free upgrade to either AVG IS or AVG Anti-Malware for 3 years for that lifetime license. I believe the problem occurred when it was decided that Ewido and AVG would not maintain separate engines but unify them into one anti-malware engine, after which continued development and updates of Ewido AS/AVG As would become cumbersome and difficult (they maintained different database formats, methods, scan engines, algorithms). The product would have been discontinued as there was no way around that particular issue, then the "lifetime" of AVG AntiSpyware would have been 3 years after release, which is what AVG offered those customers.

Still, I guess it's not a happy resolution, but I don't think they had any other. That was the time AVG was starting to go corporate the Symantec way. I'm happy AVG didn't just forget everyone on the way. Though, if AVG does end up becoming just like Symantec I'll ditch it too - but at least the product has still displayed some level of consistency as has the company.

13. gery

gery Registered Member

please don't hurt us anymore:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:p:p

14. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

I have been using AVG internet security on one of my computers and its been great. Interestingly enough compared to when I had Webroot antivirus on the machine, the boot up and shut down times with AVG have been shorter, about 10 or so seconds. I have experienced no heaviness at all.

15. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I installed it on a machine I've been cleaning and disinfecting for someone else. It didn't seem heavy or slow on a Dell Xp desktop from around 2008. I wouldn't use it myself but I don't think the owner will complain, especially about the price.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Did you use it to clean the machine and did it actually find and remove anything?

17. Firecat

It's not bad detection wise, of course it does catch something. I've used it long enough to know it's a decent enough product that generally doesn't fail in real world usage.

18. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

It found lots of malware. I haven't finished yet. It was installed after scanning and doing a first round of cleaning the disk in an external case. I then booted the sytem and manually removed a lot of malware. There was 7.8gbs of data in the IE cache that was full of malware. I deleted the whole cache before installing anything so the system could be scanned in a reasonable amount of time. AVG is stage 3 of the cleanup. I'm not relying on any one piece of software to do this.

19. roger_m

I decided to give AVG 2015 another try, as last time I had Roboscan still installed, and now I've got no AV with real time protection. I got another BSOD after installing it which I guessed was due to the firewall. So, I uninstalled it, then did a custom install without the firewall or web protection. I'm quite happy with Windows firewall, and prefer not have any kind of web protection, so not installing these components was not an issue for me.

With the custom install, AVG did not require a reboot after installtion and is working fine. Also, I removed BeeDoctor before doing the install, but that should not have been causing a conflict in my opinion. After the installing AVG, the real time protection found a few unwanted items which I was given the option to ignore rather than them being automatically quarantined. I'm doing the first time optimization full computer scan at the moment and it is progressing quite quickly. I dropped the scan priority to the basic setting and the scan is slowing down my computer too much. I had to change the scan settings when I found it was automatically quarantining found items, and then went to the vault to restore the quantined items that I want to keep.

So far I'm liking it becuase it is light and can be configred to not automatically quarantine threats, which are both are essential in order for me to not quickly uninstall an antivirus. As I have not used AVG personally for many years, I can't say how it compares to previous releases.

Edit: I'm still running the initial scans and it still automatically quarantining threats even though I have configured it not to. Maybe the setting won't take effect until I start a new scan. It is annoying having to manually restore just about every item found from the quarantine, and then tell AVG to ignore the files a few seconds later when they get detected again by the real time protection.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  20. roger_m

I have installed AVG again with the firewall enabled, and I got no BSOD. The BSOD must have been caused by the web scanning component - which is something I most definitely never want to use anyway. However, while I am impressed by how light AVG is, and by AVG's file caching which made a second full system scan very quick indeed, I have a problem.

AVG will not let me exclude some of the detected items from future detection. I have posted at AVG's Support Community about this, and hopefull someone can provide a solution, or I will sadly be ditching AVG, becuase I don't want to be alerted about this files after every full scan.

21. roger_m

Also, the "Whole Computer Scan" is not as claimed. I did a context menu scan on my Downloads folder after doing a whole computer scan and it found a number of items that the whole computer scan missed.

22. Firecat

Check the advanced settings of each scan. Each scan type has its own settings. By default the shell extension scan scans ALL files whereas the whole computer scan does not. This is configurable.....

You can easily add any file to the exclusion list through the advanced settings.

P.S. do enable the thorough scanning feature. AVG when configured for maximum protection is very good but not as light.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  23. roger_m

I was thinking that may have been the reason.
    But, I don't want to manually add about 20 files to the exclusion list. I don't know why I can't exclude them directly from the scan results screen like the many other files I have excluded.
    I wouldn't do this, as I want my AV to as light as possible. But, I did enable the option to find more unwanted programs.

24. Firecat

For maximum detection, set the advanced scan settings as seen in the attached file for all types of scan.

Attached Files:

25. roger_m

I don't want maximum protection as I want AVG to be as light as possible so it doesn't slow down my PC.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.