Free AV Malware Test UPDATED JAN 16 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by khanyash, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

You mean to post MD5 here, definitely I will do it.

The test thread have been closed by mods here.

It was just a simple test results & in my post anywhere I didn't mentioned which was best, good or worst.

Need to find a loophole in the forum rules;)

2. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

Thanks Naren for the trouble of going through the same routine with each product. The results are interesting and informative but Pablo's question signals an important qualification in regard to interpretation of the results.
    Your method takes no account of the either the general prevalence of the malware, or security restrictions (whether povided by the AV being tested or by other means) placed upon the user and/or the delivery vector.

A bit like evaluatiing the overall crash survivability of an automobile using only the results of crash testing.

3. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I do simple protection tests for myself & share the results. I also mention how I tested & its just a plain test.

I also send the malware samples tested if required.

I tested Avira here & I guess he is Avira's staff, Stefen Kurtzhals asked for the samples & I sent him whatever samples I had.

BUT I totally agree with you. And I will try to do my little tests in a more professional way.

Regards
    Naren

4. pbust

pbust AV Expert

I don't understand... I asked a few times for samples or md5's and you didn't send them to me and then you said you deleted them. But now you say you DO send samples. Can you please then send me the tested samples?

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm cutting this off here. I realize that some of you think these home grown tests are all just wonderful, but, I've commented on the issues with these before.

1. See the About "home-grown" malware tests section in the policy sticky here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=180128

2. See the full post about testing and malware sampling explained here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=297136

Yes, this is part of the explaination for the policy that I linked above... How were the samples gathered, validated as true malware, and were they available to the vendor after the fact, once the "tester" posted "in public" that their product missed them? It's unfair and frankly pointless if handled that way.

There are valid tests methods and there are home grown ones. No matter how many think home grown tests are simply wonderful, we don't want them posted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.