FProt 6.0.9.1 64-bit installer mislabeled?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AshG, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AshG

AshG Registered Member

I also posted this at the FProt forums, but I was hoping to get the expertise of the people here as well.

I'm giving 6.0.9.1 a try right now for a potential purchase and rollout for a few of my repair/maintenance customers. I already have my clients buy the 32-bit edition, and with some of them moving to 64-bit I thought I'd give it a whirl myself.

The link on the main F-Prot page to the 64-bit download sends you to a file that says 64 in the name, but the installation says otherwise. My first clue? It installed itself to my \Program Files x86\ directory instead of the standard folder for 64-bit programs. A quick check of the task manager reveals that all of the F-Prot related processes are running in 32-bit mode as well, i.e. FProtTray.exe *32 and FPAVServer.exe *32.

Am I missing something, did I do something wrong, or is the answer something completely different?

2. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Could just be that fprot does not run in native 64bit mode?

The protection x86/x64 is exactly the same so I wouldn't be surprised if they run in x86.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! works the same (along with many others). It's nothing wrong with that really. Low level drivers are indeed 64bit because they have to be but top layer applications can run in 32bit mode just fine. There isn't much of performance gain if you use native 64bit. At least that was consclusion by some AV vendors.

4. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

KIS 2009 installs also in the 32 bit folder, but there I find a 64 folder with a lot of files in it, for the 64 bit system. Maybe FProt has this too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.