Foxit Reader Questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Is anyone using a later (or current) version of Foxit Reader? I haven't upgraded Foxit Reader in quite a while. I am still using version 5.4.3. I have some questions about the later versions of Foxit Reader.

1. Is it easy to deselect the Ask Toolbar installation option?

2. Does Foxit Reader have any other undesirable installation options checked by default?

3. Are there any other things that I should know about the latest versions of Foxit Reader?

Thanks in Advance.

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi TheKid7, ever since the msi version (no toolbar) disappeared, I switched to using the portable version. It works great sandboxed (SBIE) and no toolbar.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/foxit_reader_portable

Foxit has a new toolbar interface thing called Ribbon. Personally, I don't like it but it is easy to switch back to the old UI if you want, I did.

Bo

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I'm using 5.4.5.0124. I can't remember how easy it was to opt out of the Ask toolbar but if you install it accidentally it's easy to uninstall from the Control Panel. I don't recall any other problems with the install. If you use the Ribbon Toolbar Mode the interface looks quite different. I didn't like it at first but just like MS Word's ribbon, after I used it awhile I really like it. It just looks nice imo. I've bounced around and tried several readers but ended up back with Foxit. I rarely read a whole PDF document unless it's quite small, but more often use Foxit for searching big documents. Gets the job done.

4. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just upgraded to Foxit Reader 6.0.3.0524 on one of my PC's. I uninstalled the version 5.X first, restared the PC, followed by the installation of version 6.0.3.0524.

I ran into an issue where the 6.0.3.0524 installer would 'hang' at the end of the installation. I finally figured out by selectively closing Foxit Reader Processes that the installation would complete. I am not sure why Foxit Reader had too many processes running. It looked like there were two processes of the Foxit Reader Installer and one process of Foxit Reader when the Installer would 'hang'.

I deselected the undesirable options. I deselected everything but the basic install (Reader + Reader Browser Plugins). I did not fully understand all of the options related to the Windows Shell, so I deselected them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.