Found Problem with SP2 and Solution but No fix

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by KraXed112, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KraXed112

KraXed112 Registered Member

Ok this is after 3days of tearin my hair out and a couple of reformats and are all based on my pc i've done the testing with specs as followed

1st pc that everything is done on.
    P4 3.06 533fsb, ASUS P4T533 ,Intel i850 Chipset, 6.2 intelchip set drivers
    512mb Samsung Rambus Ram PC-4200
    Nvidia BFG Tech 6800GT 256mb, Nividia Forceware drivers 61.77
    Promise Fasttrack IDE Controller
    Harddrives
    C:\ 120GB WD JB
    D:\ 200GB WD JB
    E:\ 200GB WD JB
    F:\ 120GB WD JB
    G:\ 120GB WD JB
    H:\ 200GB WD JB

Versions of True Image tried is 6.0, 7.0, 8.0

The Problem is images made in sp2 can only be restored in sp2 only, BUT if the image is on a sp2 computer any computer with sp1 can view this image as well. This also means any version of acronis that makes these images in sp2.. will not be able to be restored under the rescue disk.

My first problem was i thought was a 8.0 problem due to the amount of threads saying 8.0 this and that.. i thought i was just one of them but after a tiresome 3days it seems its not a 8.0 problem its a sp2 prob.

i've made many images and have never had a problem with 6.0 or 7.0 even 8.0 worked fine, but problems came after sp2. i didn't relized it then.. so i blamed 8.0

my usual way of testing a image is to either explore it or restore it from the bootdisk, for 8.0 i just did the explore and it worked fine so i left it at that.
    I'm a mad app junkie and xp tweaker i'll work and do everything i can to make the computer faster.. but at a cost something will usually go wrong.. so i want an image of a un-tampered winxp sp2 with all drivers installed + basic apps. I already have the same image but with sp1 and that always works.

After the image was made i would start messing around with services and registry edits and new apps... and once the system starts acting funny or gets bogged down.. i would usually just restore the safe image.

The problems i encountered were the bootdisk and sp1 would see the image but would only give me this error
    "This is not the last created volume of the image archive. Please insert the last created volume to start working with this archive"

I made 2 images one with 8.0 and one with 7.0 and both would work fine
    but the same problem came up when i used the bootdisk so now i knew it wasn't a version problem.. it was purely sp2
    My only solution so far that i haven't tried yet is to restore the image in sp2 to another harddrive.. and in bootdisk to clone disk.. then to boot under the xp disk and use recovery console to fix the mbr, not sure if this would work cos my xp install cd is just sp1.. i'll try again when i make another xp disk with sp2 installed on it.

This post mite be messy.. but i recalled and wrote down according to the notes of i have scribbled on my table.

theres my 2cents worth
    hope it helps just ONE person having the same problem

of course anyone who can see the winxp sp2 image under the bootdisk regardless of version just made this post pointless !

Thanx for reading
    KraXed112

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Long post, sure, but you posted all the relevant information.

I can test imaging a WinXP SP2 machine running in VMWare when I get home.
    You are saying that when using the recovery CD, you cannot restore an image to your primary hard drive? (You see the files, but when you go to restore, it thinks that there are additional image files missing?)

3. KraXed112

Oh yeah.. like i said before if the image is on a computer with sp2 installed on it.. any computer off a network with sp1 and any version of acronis can see and explore it.
    Yeah when i use the Rescue cd i can see the image but it will not access it.

4. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

I'm not sure of what your actually saying here...but FWIW I am using TI 7, Build 634. I store my images to an external USB HDD.

I just went and booted to the recue disk (F12) on my IBM R40 laptop with the external HDD attached. I could see the folder and files of all my images including one made after I installed SP2. I did not select any of the files at that time but cancelled out of the recovery procedure.

Are you saying that if I had selected a TIB file and clicked on NEXT that I would have received a nasty message?

Harvey

5. KraXed112

Yeah the images are all there, but u dont have to restore it.. just use acronis program to just explore it.. if it gives an error then u mite have the same prob i have provided that the r40 doesn't have sp2 on it

6. Gibbo

Gibbo Registered Member

I can explore the one and only image that I have created on my USB HDD, with TI8, through windows, but cannot restore it. Starting the restore process is guaranteed to reboot the pc. go figure!

7. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

I just tried again (cold boot with F12). This time I selected various partitions and the whole drive to restore. I went thru the whole thing up to the point of commiting to restore wiith no issue.

I did not try to explore the image. Do you mean to explore it via the boot disk (F12). Also, the R40 does have SP2 on it, but does this mean anything since the whole operation is being done via F12 and the boot cd - I assume the OS is not being loaded at this time or during any restore or explore (or is it loaded during the explore operation?).

Harvey

8. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

I have made many images to SP2 computers and then restored with the boot disk across the network. (TrueImage 8 ) As always YMMV.

9. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

I just tested imaging an SP2 machine and restoring it using the rescue CD and it works fine. I also tried restoring an image from a network share on a WinXP SP2 machine and that also worked fine.

10. KraXed112

damn.. then its just me ! thanx everyone =P

11. Tom_USA

Tom_USA Guest

I have a similar problem with the access over a network - 7.0.634 keeps telling me that the images are corrupted and I can not explore or restore from them. A check of the local files works fine and does not show any issues. It probably has to do with the network support (or better the lack of) that their product provides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.