Former Opera CEO Launches Vivaldi, A New Browser For Power Users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jan 27, 2015.

1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Do you know the meaning of Technical Preview?

2. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/08/vivaldi-chrome-alternative-tech-preview-2/

Way anxious to see where this browser's apparently conscientious and continuous plodding along for improvement lands this puppy several months from now. I'm assuming since they appear to be going the route of Chrome extension flexibility, uBlock and uMatrix will not pose an issue eventually. Toss in a perhaps (emphatically hopeful/maybe) the do or die compatibility with Sandboxie and we just might have a nice little box of chocolate in our hands.

p.s. @Rasheed187 At least they got there. ;)

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

That's no excuse. The point that I'm trying to make is that they are not focused enough on details. Actually, this isn't even a detail, I found it to be very annoying when it kept loading sites that I visited since the last browsing session.

Yes, perhaps it will become a competitor to Chrome and Firefox, who knows. But I'm currently not impressed. I got excited when Vivaldi was announced, but that excitement has gone away.

4. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

All I need to start using Vivaldi some more is for extensions to have widgets so I can actually use them interactively. Having to go in to extensions menu to whitelist a domain gets old very quickly.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

That is no excuse!?

You are using an unfinished browser, and want that it has all the features in the world and more...

If they are in Release Candidate version, than you can have some reason to complaint, but now...

The goal of these TPs are to test and give feedback, not to critize like a stable version...

6. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

In current form, does it provide to install portable?

If not, portable is planned?

7. Rasheed187

Yes, and they should be be able to prioritize feedback. And for some things they shouldn't even be needing any feedback, somethings should be obvious for makers of a browser geared to "power users". So let's agree to disagree.

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

They are listening, already made a poll, etc...

But maybe they should only listen to you, since you seems to be an expert in browsers, and software development...

Do you really think that, at this point, the most important feature in the browser is the startup options?

Sure.

Please, keep on going...

9. Rasheed187

No need to get personal. But I'm sure as hell glad that you're not on the development team. BTW, we go way back, remember when we were big supporters of Maxthon? :D

10. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/teamblog/item/30-snapshot-1-0-178-2-with-more-settings

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I asked them to also add the option "Delay loading of background tabs", like Opera.

This was also in their Poll, some time ago...

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

newest version has come a LONG way. still not (imo) suitable for daily use overall i still see to many quirks. but overall they are heading in the right direction.

13. wasgij6

i agree but they havent even hit beta yet so they still have a long time to work things out.

14. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i was unimpressed by the early versions but more competition is definitely needed as far as browsers go so i hope they are successful.

15. wasgij6

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/tea...zation-ui-zooming-auto-update-on-mac-and-more

16. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I tend to agree with you. This is a snapshot of what's basically an alpha version. I think it's coming along nicely on Linux and could fairly soon be a real alternative for those that miss the Presto Opera. But I wouldn't expect to use it as a regular browser yet.

17. Rasheed187

It's not even close to being my first choice browser yet. I also hate the current bookmarking system.

18. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, I'm not surprised, it's pre-alpha.

19. zfactor

one day this could be a major player for sure. right now not so much. i like their ideas with the exception of the bookmarks things i really dont like the way they handle that. just give me a simple bookmarks button. why do i need to pull over a menu then pull down a folder and after going to a page then im left where i was before even if thats not the folder i want then i have to close that folder find the other one etc. i would use this much more if they would put more work into bookmarks.

20. wasgij6

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/blogs/tea...ac-build-fixes-windows-64bits-get-auto-update

21. zfactor

why dont they work on fixing the major things before bothering with all the little things, its the major things that should be working before even thinking about adding more and more.

22. wasgij6

what major "things" are you talking about

23. zfactor

i guess what i meant to say is get the basics right first then worry about adding in new features imo.

24. wasgij6

Such as... I would like examples

25. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Comparing V.1.0.162.9 to Opera 12, I would like to have:
    • User Mode, where I can configure background color, font, font size
    • A similar list of configurable single-key shortcuts
    • R-click on a word and look up in a dictionary/encyclopedia
    • R-click on an image to get image properties and the EXIF
    • Customize View Source/HTML editor
    • Shortcut key to open a page in W3C Validation Service (used when creating/editing a web page)
    Those are some of my most used features in Opera. (If these are available, I haven't found them!)

Also, a couple of annoyances with Vivaldi:
    • Looking at the Page Info for a site, I don't see a way to block all cookies for that site.
    • With the Address Bar at the bottom, the Page Info window does not show.
    • Ctrl + Right/Left Arrows for cycling forward/back in a gallery of photographs, or pages of photographs, is not reliable.
    While I like much about Vivaldi, I won't abandon the features in Opera I've become accustomed to.

----
    rich

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.