? for wi-fi hotspot users.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ThunderZ, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

2. sundazing

sundazing Registered Member

Hi, I'm bumping this thread because I'd like to know if anyone uses either of these products as well. I've used Anonymizer and it was ok, but a little clunky on my Toshiba laptop and a little slow on the net. Disappointed with the other products I've tried and now usually just hop onto an online proxy as an ad hoc solution.

I've downloaded the anchorfree hotspot shield and am using it right now. Extremely light and it is giving me a quick proxied IP which I like a lot. It is quicker than any other proxy I've tried. I don't think many people know about it yet is why.

It appears to be legit and was in an article at ZDnet for hotspot security. This is not the bread-n-butter of anchorfree, but a give-away to encourage more brand loyalty for their own hotspots. No other mentions on Cnet, PC Mag, etc. yet.

I've emailed anchorfree to ask them to explain their encryption algorithm and schematic. I'll post back here after I hear from them. (On their site, they only say they've built up from SSL...and I have no clue what that really means.)

If some of the techies here get a chance, please check it out and tell us what you think of it. (There is an online Control Panel with a "Troubleshooting" section which gives a detailed history of ongoing processes .)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this product.

SIDENOTE: On a sidenote, there is the iPig VPN which is a great idea, but very unprofessionally being executed. It's proven a great waste of my time so far. Understaffed and obviously underfinanced and zero customer support. Another enterprising, better organized, company could take the iPig business and technical models and make a real winner to compete against yearly subscription VPNs. (iPig charges flat rate for 30gbs of bandwidth.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  3. ThunderZ

Thanks for the bump Sundazing. I had forgotten all about this post. :( :thumb:

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

This may sound difficult, but I always use SSH to connect to my home pc. I then run a squid proxy server, which enables all of my connections to be encrypted and sent to my home pc, then routed through my home internet connection. But if this is too complicated, tor always is useful, even though the download speeds are slow (blame all the illegal downloaders if you ask me)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

5. ThunderZ

:eek: Yep, your right, it dose. Though I appreciate the info. it is a bit beyond my level of knowledge. :rolleyes: Thanks anywyas. ;)

6. sundazing

sundazing Registered Member

Thunder, you're welcome. This is an urgent topic for many of us who travel.

Alpha, there's also a special version of Firefox for using Tor even more securely now. However, I'm looking for something lighter and faster for hotspotting a Paypal connection (which is via https anyway) for, say, a two minute transaction. I own one computer, a laptop, period. It goes with me, so there's nothing at home to connect to. So, unlike you, I have no need for home network or home VPN or my very own home squid proxy. Like most users, I'm looking for a quick, but reliable, trust-worthy and stable solution. Computer security isn't a hobby for me, but a must-do, necessary chore.

However, I do like using anonymous proxies, for both personal and political reasons as the need arises, and this hotspot shield is the fastest and lightest I've used. Certainly lightspeeds ahead of Tor. If it also is doing what it is says it does for data encryption, then it is my perfect solution.

Hotspot shield is certainly quick and convenient, light and unobtrusive. So quick and convenient that I am concerned it isn't doing what it is supposed to be doing.

If you are a techie, could you just download the client and hop back on the site to connect to the proxy and take a look at the troubleshooting log and translate what it is doing for us? Thanks! The link is in Thunder's original post.

EDITED TO ADD: I just sent an email to Anchorfree and invited them to join us on this thread to discuss their product, specifically their encryption algorithm.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.