Folder exclusion list for file backups not working for me

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by randman, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randman

randman Registered Member

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I could not find the answer. I am running the latest build of ATI 10.0 Home. I configured a task to do a file (not image) backup. In the "Source Files Exclusion" dialog box, I added some directories such as:

G:\Temporary Files (there are subfolders and files underneath this directory)

E:\RECYCLER (to not backup my E: drive's recycle bin)

G:\RECYCLER (to not backup my G: drive's recycle bin)

I also added other folders to exclude using the format:

Drive_name:\folder_name

After running the task to do a full file backup, I see that these folders were still backed up. Why are they still being backed up?

Next question: The "Source Files Exclusion" dialog box also has the option to "Exclude all system files and folders". Can you describe and give a sample list of Windows XP system files and folders that would be excluded if this is checked? I know in principle what system files and folders are, but want to know explicitly what exactly they are for Windows XP (they are not documented in the Acronis User Guide).

Thanks.

2. randman

randman Registered Member

Okay, I found in an old ATI 9.0 thread that you can't "exclude whole folders or branches from the archive using “Source Files Exclusion” window... If you want to exclude whole folders, you should unselect them in “Source File Selector” window of Create Backup Wizard. "

I guess ATI 10.0 Home still has the same behavior then?

Note: in ATI 10.0, when you click "Add..." in the "Source Files Exclusion" window, the "Add File Exclusion Criterion" window comes up. This window says "File name, path, or mask". So, based on this, I thought that entering just a folder path will allow the path to be excluded?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.