Folder Exclusion in Full and Differential Back Ups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dolfin the Mammal, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolfin the Mammal

Dolfin the Mammal Registered Member

Two questions please:

1. I want to exclude a folder from my full and differential back up. What is the best way to do this? Can I do this with the exclusion function in the script tool (or does this only work with files) or is it better to just uncheck the folder under the "files" back up option rather than choosing the full Back up and a full differential back up options?

2. The forum talks about Syspreping your hard drive as the only way to fully protect your system data and yourself against a motherboard failure. Should I be syspreping my hard drive before I clone it to protect against such a possibility? Should I be also be using sysprep for my archiving back ups?

Thank you

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dolfin the Mammal,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that the possibility to exclude files is available only for file-based backup.
    You can set the default filters for not to back up files of specific types. For example, you may want hidden and system files and folders, as well as files with .~, .tmp and .bak extensions, not to be stored in the archive.
    You can also apply custom filters, using the common Windows masking rules. For example, to exclude all files with extension .exe, add *.exe mask.
    Please take a look at 4.3.2. section of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

If you want to exclude a folder, you should use the file-based backup and ucheck this folder on Create Backup Wizard window.

As it stands in Microsoft Knowledge Base, Article 298491, "One problem from duplicating an installation of Windows is that each cloned computer has the same security identifier (SID) and computer name. This may prevent the cloned computers from functioning correctly in a workgroup or a domain. To work around this problem, administrators use the System Preparation Tool (Sysprep.exe) to remove configuration settings that are unique to the computer such as the computer name and SID. The resulting image can then be safely reused for installation on other computers." Please take a look at this FAQ article.

If you clone your Windows system to the different hardware, we recommend you to use sysprep.

Please note that it's impossible to use sysprep for image archives.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. Dolfin the Mammal

Dolfin the Mammal Registered Member

Thanks Tatyana,
    One problem I am getting now that I am using the Full and differential "File Based" backup is that Acronis looks for my password when it goes to backup each of my C: subfolders. I get: module11 error 0(0xB0000) "failed to log on to network path..."

Then I get: module100 error 135(0x640087) "the operation skipped since it is disabled in the default options" message comes up.

How can I solve this problem?

Thank you for your further help,
    Dolfin

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dolfin,

Could you please create step-by-step screen shots of your actions which you took while performing this operation in Create Backup Wizard?

Could you please also collect the log with the error?

- Start Acronis True Image;
    - Select Tools -> Show log;
    - Choose the log entry which contains errors;
    - Click on the diskette icon, choose the location (folder) and save there;

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.