floppy access in NOD32 v3

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Gerix, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerix

Gerix Registered Member

WinXP shows "please insert disk" when I attempt to open any floppy in A: . No directory info. is shown. When NOD32 is un-installed, the floppy access returns to normal. At a guess, NOD wants to scan the boot sector, and stops there for some reason. The floppy drive works normally with other o/s and the disk itself is formatted etc. I have XP sp3 trial.

Has someone encountered this, and found a solution?
    [ If I revert to NOD32 v2.7 the floppy drv works normally .... ]

2. Sir George

Sir George Registered Member

Since you are using Windows XP SP3, you must be a Beta tester a subscriber of MSDN or TechNet, because you wouldn't be using pirated software, right? So, the appropriate place to ask your question would be the MS beta group.

The purpose of being a beta tester is so problems, such as yours, can be submitted to the developers for testing and the final release will be more stable.

If you are using pirated software, then this is a consequence of that action.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  3. vivona

vivona Registered Member

I had the same problem, A:\ drive would show "Please insert disk", and I had set aside some time later to investigate perhaps a failed drive. I am running WinXp SP2 and was running NOD32 3.0.563 as a trial version.

I just paid for a subscription and downloaded and installed 3.0.566 and happened to read this thread and checked my A:\ drive and it now works fine. I hadn't thought the problem was caused by NOD32, but it appears that it was. Since my A:\ drive works now, I can't investigate further, but I'd say NOD32 may certainly be the cause of this problem.

4. Gerix

Gerix Registered Member

vivona - thanx for your reply.

I've set up NOD32 again on a clean install of XP, to test a theory. The same result! Yesterday these floppy errors ceased briefly so now I really am intrigued, going to test on different machines and versions of XP etc.

This will be a 'bug' in NOD32. And when I discover something, I'll post here.

sir george , it is good to know someone is out there policing the internet and so on. A valuable and indispensable service to the community.

5. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I'm surprised people are still using floppy drives.. I yanked mine out years ago and disabled it in the bios too.
    Go for a usb key instead :)

6. Sir George

Sir George Registered Member

I sense a subtle or perhaps not so subtle sarcasm in your reply. However, my post was intended to be informational for those who visit this forum with problems related to Nod32.

A beta OS is a prime suspect when new problems occur. Since you were the only one, at the time of your post, to have a known problem with a floppy drive I felt it would be more reasonable to associate the problem with the beta software and not Nod32.

If you are a legitimate beta tester you should know to post problems with the software distributor. Therefore, my reference to a possible pirated version.

I am not trying to police anything or anyone, but merely point out that the problem you have is just as likely to be with your beta OS than with Nod32.

7. Worried

Worried Registered Member

I work at a small company with just two computers in the office.

Both run on XP and ESET anti-virus software.

Only one of these computers cannot now read from the "A" drive, ESET support have got us to upgrade to the latest edition but the problem still exists.

The only way we have been able to overcome the lack of "A" drive is to roll back to before the installation on the updated ESET software.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

8. Gerix

Gerix Registered Member

I have done my experimenting, and I've decided to use NOD32 v2.7 on the systems where I want floppy access.

What I found: Version 3 shows the same glitch on all NT-based op.systems that I tested, incl. all versions of XP . There are scan settings for 'removable media' and 'diskette access' , changing these had no effect. BUT occasionally the floppy can be accessed - tantalising - and I wish I could understand this.

When ESET have improved v3 I will install it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.