Flock reading my security apps?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by IceDogg, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceDogg

IceDogg Registered Member

First no expert, I'm only pointing this out for an answer.

I have ProcessGuard installed on my PC and when I installed Flock (newer browser built on Firefox code) it gave me an alert. I knew it was coming always does when installing software. But because I don't REALLY know the makers I check it out anyway.

So what was surprising to me is that this software when it installed check my system for all my security software. All my protected software was trying to be read. Why on earth does it need to read my software?? Just so there is no confusion. Firefox does NOT do this. Any Ideas? thoughts? I'm only asking here, not accusing. But I have installed a few other apps and NONE tried to read my security apps.

I posted this in another forum for answers as well, but this is the help area for PG, so I thought I should ask here too.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Any application that creates or displays a process list will do a Read on every other running program on your system (DiamondCS' Advanced Process Terminator being one example). The question then is whether a program you run is just reading every process (and PG is just alerting on your protected security applications) or whether it is specifically looking at security applications only (easy enough to test by protecting a "non-security" application like Notepad and seeing if that results in a PG alert).

In Flock's case, I'd suspect it to be the former and you could likely just ignore the alerts.

3. IceDogg

I'm sure your right. The thing that got me is Firefox doesn't do this and no other app I've installed does either (with the exception of other security apps). Granted I've not installed a ton of apps or anything, but I just seen it as weird. You are also correct in that I only have my security apps protected.

Thanks for your reply.

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, IceDogg

When you installed Flock did you [un]check [under custom install] any feedback boxs in case of a Crash it might be collecting information for such a reason.

That is much one of the reason I no longer recommend Outpost because of it Feedback [What it is [Trying?] feeding back is anybody guess], even with It's custom install not to add [removed] Feedback to the Allowed Application List Outpost Automatically puts FeedBack in the Allowed List.:mad:

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

5. IceDogg

Hi TheQuest,

No I let it do a regular install. I wanted to see what it was like when it was installed like most people would install it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.