Flaw In McAfee Antivirus Software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by musicman, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicman

musicman Registered Member

Wanted to share this with the members, as I found this to be quite disturbing about McAfee. The following post was made by a member from AntiOnline Security Forum. Here is word for word.
    ========================================================
    We use McAfee Enterprise 7.1 (the latest product) here at my job and I found something rather disturbing the other day. If you use this product, you'll know that you can set a password so that no files/settings can be changed, and the on-access scan can't be disabled. You would think they would test products for potential flaws, especially something this simple. The On-Access scan has an Icon in the taskbar, a little shield. If you just double click that icon, the statistics box will appear. Heres the great part, the Disable button for the On-Access scan is not greyed out for 3 seconds on any computer, allowing you to click it.... tested up to a p4. You can disable, enable, and disable the On-Access scan before the option fades out. Even if the computer has been on for hours, this still works. You can do this EVERY time the computer is rebooted. I see this as a serious hole, as any idiot with a mouse can disable the vscan in seconds. So I called McAfee. They told me I would have to write out a letter justifying a "Feature Modifacation". Even better, they said it wouldn't be fixed untill the next release of the program!!!

Basically I'm just saying what I've always heard anyway, DONT USE MCAFEE

2. bob_man_uk

bob_man_uk Registered Member

i have had a lot of trouble with mcafee 7.1 go to 7.0 instead its much better and the afore mentioned 'flaw' is non-existant you could be super man and still not be able to hit the dissable button

3. Arin

Arin Registered Member

just FYI i'm using VirusScan Pro version 8.0.26 and i found a serious flaw in its rescue disks. that disk works on FAT systems only. it won't scan files on NON-FAT partitions and won't disinfect NON-FAT boot sectors. so looks like McAfee is pulling some serious stunts. also during upgrading they force you to use unsigned ActiveX applets. what do you guys say about this?

4. bob_man_uk

bob_man_uk Registered Member

ok amrx heres something for you to try, download bootclean or whatever it is, its currently in beta format and freely downloadable from

http://nai.com/us/downloads/

just click on beta signup and download.

ive downloaded it but never tried it.

plus if you dont like something you can tell them and wait for the beta refresh. ps it goes on 3 floppy disks though. :blink:

5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

thanks a lot Bob_man_UK, but i'm not that desperate to use a BETA cleanboot. but thanks a lot again.

6. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

Check out McAfee Enterprise Edition..

http://www.networkassociates.com/us/downloads/beta/vse/VSE80i.htm

Its actually an amazingly good AV, and doesn't have all the BS that the retail version is strapped with... Detection rates are massive on it as well. The link to D/L is at the bottom, and includes a 100-Day license for free..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.