Flash Player popup problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I have this setting checked in Flash Player version 11.3.300.271 ...
    'Ask before allowing new sites to save information on this computer'.

I opened a website that I visit quite regularly and I received a popup asking me to provide more space for a third party to write information on my PC. As the application does not indicate what that information is or what they intend to do with it, I selected 'deny', however Flash will not accept 'deny'. The popup remains until I close that website. It appears that I can only accept 'allow'. I re-opened the website sandboxed and selected 'deny' which again did not work and then I selected 'allow' and it worked. I cleared the sandbox.

This setting means nothing!

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

You might try CCleaner. Set it to clean Adobe Flash Player. If you have Firefox, you might try the Better Privacy add-on. It targets Flash Cookies that the browser alone can't manage or delete. You could also check your regular cookies and see if you can pinpoint one that the website has sent you. It may be a third-party cookie with an unusual name. It could have data that's telling your system to only "accept."

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I select block for all settings. If I go to a site that uses Flash, if the site doesn't work and I am really interested in the content, then I play around with that setting to see if it makes a difference.

Bo

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx for this link. I checked it out, however the fact that Flash will not accept 'deny' is really not addressed here. I am still at a loss why. Is it Flash or is it the website that is forcing the selection to 'allow' only?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx for your response. I have CCleaner installed and Adobe Flash is checked. I also have Better Privacy installed (I am using FF 14.01) I have Flash set to the default settings in Better Privacy.
    I can see the third party website name in the popup, but the popup does not indicate what data the website wants to use and that is what has made me feel very uneasy. I should be able to reply 'deny' if the popup is being managed by Flash (however, I think you might be right and it is the 3rd party website that is forcing the 'accept' reply.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

emmjay, yes, the "deny" issue was not part of the link, but thought you could take a look at other Flash Settings Manager areas to see if there was a conflict.

IMO the pop-up is part of Flash's Manager, not the website, so there is a chance that your Flash installation could be corrupted somehow. Perhaps Download it anew (uncheck the McAfee Security Scan Plus option, if desired), and also download the Flash Player Uninstaller. Remove the present Flash Player, via the uninstaller, and install the new downloaded version. See if that cures the problem.

8. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I kind of agree with bo elam. I can't think of any legitimate reasons why a third-part would need to store anything offline on my computer, though there may be one or two I don't know about. I've got FF and Flash both set to Ask/Warn if a website wants to store offline data but I've never gotten a warning. I use Ask cause I want to see what websites try to do this, but I'm thinking about just setting it to Block, probably never miss anything.

9. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

This is the way I always install flash upgrades. I use their uninstaller and then download the latest version. I ALWAYS uncheck McAfee. However there is no guarantee that the install was not corrupted so I decided to do as you suggested. Unfortunately I am getting the same issue with this particular website. If you are right then this particualar function of Flash is not working properly. I should be able to choose 'deny'. The intent of this option is to prevent the 3rd party from writing something on my PC that they can use (for whatever reason).

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

emmjay, can you PM me the URL of that site?

11. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Hi JR, I have sent you a PM.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

OK, Wilders' Eagle-eyes, this is a good one for you.

After several days of back & forth PMs with emmjay, I'll present what it's happening. Perhaps one of you can chime in and to tell us why.

The Issue:

A Flash pop-up (like this example) that will not accept deny, no matter how hard you try.

The Site:

atpworldtour.com.

The Set-up:

Flash Settings Manager's Global Storage 2 bottom boxes checked (slider at 0) triggers the pop-up (about a minute delay) in both current versions of Firefox (NoScript disabled) and Internet Explorer browsers. My Chrome browser's flash plug-in keeps crashing on that site, so results are inconclusive with that browser.

The Findings:

Player.ooyala.com is nowhere to be found in the site's HTML, CSS and JavaScript coding. My guess is that its activation is coded into the Flash movie, and without seeing the movie's original Flash content source, there is no way to confirm my guess.

The Assumption:

Code:
    <div class="homeRotator">
    <!-- Flash swf should be here -->
    <div id="flashcontent47ea3651cee746d686e7db0fc0e0c83a">
    <div class="homeFlashAltContent"></div>
    </div>
    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="Homepage" data="/media/flash/features.swf?v10" width="985" height="312">[B][COLOR="Blue"]<param name="menu" value="false">[/COLOR][/B]<param name="scale" value="noscale"><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"><param name="quality" value="best"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="flashvars" value="flashId=flashcontent47ea3651cee746d686e7db0fc0e0c83a&amp;xmlPath=%2fFeatures%2fNavigation-Column%2fFlash-Player.aspx%3fseed%3d634815801256603261&amp;c=0x00AFF0"></object>
    </div>
    The <param name="menu" value="false"> normally prevents right clicking any Flash movie to show its typical context menu.

The Question:

Could the above setting prevent the Flash Local Setting pop-up "deny" button from ever becoming active?

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just for info, that site won't accept 'deny' from me either :(

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

stapp, thanks for your confirmation. While this particular pop-up might be benign, the fact that the "deny" button does not work, perhaps it signals a future entry point for something nefarious being deposited in someone's PC. We'll see.

15. bo elam

I read about that button some time back, I remember it does not work for many people. It might be intentional or a bug. I don't know.

Bo

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Bo, if you can find where you saw that read, do post back.

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

18. bo elam

19. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

By the way I am using IE9 as default on this machine. At one point there was a IE9 message saying it had blocked a popup.

If I click about 30 times in quick succession it finally accepts deny :D

20. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx for the links JR and Bo. Hopefully this bug can not be exploited. I got the impression that the popup was not functioning at all. Hitting it 30 times !!!!!!!!!!! what? That's assault. So it does function ... did it absolutely deny the operation?
    I would also assume that the website owners are not aware that the video their visitors and members want to watch can not play when the popup does not respond. Not good for business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.