first time user

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by theshadow247, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

if i install a program on my primary snapshot after i reboot back into the primary snapshot will the program still be there ? if so.can i remove the progam with firstdefense or do i have to uninstall the program o_O

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, when you reboot, the program will still be there: this is simply your ordinary c:drive contained inside of a FirstDefense Snapshot. You can either uninstall using the usual procedures, or use FirstDefense which would guarantee a complete uninstall. In order to uninstall using FirstDefense, you will need another Snapshot that you would have created BEFORE you installed the new program, not the Primary Snapshot that you are using.

Acadia

3. theshadow247

thanks for the help.Acadia.i have a secondary snapshot.it sounds like your saying that to test a parogram i should only do it from my secondary snapshot or third or so on.but not from my primary unless i want to keep that program....

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Not necessarily. That is one way of doing it, but you can also update your Primary using one of the other Snapshots. That way, if your Primary gets hosed by a bad program, you can simply update it using one of the other Snapshots.

One of the most important things to remember when using FD is this: whenever you use one Snapshot to update another Snapshot, they are now IDENTICAL. So if your Primary Snapshot is bad for some reason, simply update it using any other Snapshot or Archive that you wish; the Primary will now resemble the other Snapshot that you used. So you can test in your Primary if you wish; just have another Snapshot for recovery. :cool:

Acadia

5. theshadow247

that is something i wouln't of thought you could do.beeing new to f.d can you tell me how i can update the primary with lets say my secondary snapshot.iam still reading and trying to get the hang of f.d....

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I suggest taking the time to read the built-in Manual or User Guide; tons of good info in there. :cool:

Acadia

7. theshadow247

thanks.Acadia.i just figured it out thanks again.

8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

An alternative is to first use Freeze on your primary snapshot. Then reboot and install the program. Then, any time you reboot, the program will have disappeared because your Primary snapshot will always be restored back to its "Frozen" state on reboot.

However, I'm not sure that would be the best application of Freeze -- I haven't found an application for Freeze that makes sense for me yet.

I myself would create a new snapshot from my Primary, boot into it, create a fresh Archive on another drive from the original Primary and then install the program in the newly booted snapshot to try it out.

9. theshadow247

hi.crofttk.
    ya i tryed it that way and didnt realy like it so now iam using shadowuser for the freeze.its working good for me sofar....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.