First time Acronis True Image user - Question regarding images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dunestar, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunestar

Dunestar Registered Member

Hello-
    I'm using Acronis TrueImage Echo Enterprise Server 9, with Universal Restore. I have a question.

I have one really old PowerEdge server with SBS2003 loaded on it. It's the DC, and hosts Exchange and a Quickbooks Database - doesnt do much else aside from hosting a few files. All we want to do is move the installation over to the new server we purchased, PowerEdge 2900, which currently has no O.S. loaded on it, then get rid of the old server. (we are trying to avoid doing any swing migrations, which is a bit above my head)

I was told that the TrueImage Enterprise Echo Server 9 with Universal Restore we have could do this, so I created the boot disk then booted the old server to it, and am now compressing/creating an image of the OS partition to an external USB HD.

Really all I want to know is if this will work, before I continue any further. The PowerEdge 2900 has three SAS 146GB Drives (Which I have created a RAID 5 array for), while the old server just has two IDE Raid 0 drives (i'm just copying one of two partitions, the OS partition).

So, my main question is, is it possible for me to get up and running with what I have?

Edit: Since no one has replied yet, I thought I'd throw in another question if you guys don't mind :) The process of saving the partition to USB external disk is STILL running (it's been 6 hours now!) - the partition is only 30 gigs. Will it take this long to restore the image to the new server too (I figure it's taking longer because of the normal compression, but could be wrong.) If so, is there any way, using BartPE or some other boot loader to transfer the image to the new server hard disk? (remember, the new server has no OS installed on it)

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Yes this should work.

The Rescue CD is probably running at USB 1.1 speed to account for such a slow backup. It may run faster on the new machine, or not. A BartPE disk would use Windos drivers and run faster.

3. Dunestar

Dunestar Registered Member

Thanks John, could I just use my BartPE bootdisc (that I created using my Windows XP SP2 CD)? When I installed Acronis True Image 9 Enterprise on my old server, I noticed that there was a BartPE directory in C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageEchoEnterpriseServer - would I use this for something?

Also which menu option in BartPE would allow me to restore the Acronis image off the external USB hard drive to my new server? Remember the server is a RAID 5 with SAS hard drives, so I'm not sure if BartPE has support for these...

Again, I appreciate your help.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

That BartPE directory is the True Image Plug-In for BartPE. There is an entire thread for how to use it. When you incorporate that plugin into a BartPE cd then, and only then, it will appear in the BartPE menu as Acronis True Image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.