First Defense & Deep Freeze

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Ptah, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Any users out there that have these two progs running at the same time and are there any problems with?

Thanks,

Ptah

2. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Sorry, I don't Deep Freeze, but I do use FD. Can you tell me more about Deep Freeze? I've heard some positive things about it, but I must admit that I don't know much about it.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure why you'd want to. I believe what deep freeze does is just give you the ability to reset the machine everyday. First Defense can do the same thing, but also so much more.

Pete

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Using FDISR in combination with DeepFreeze would be the same as FDISR + ShadowUser.
    Why would you clean up your system partition two times with possible technical conflicts ? That doesn't make any sense.

FDISR is still a better choice, because having more than ONE snapshot offers more possibilities for different purposes.
    If you are satisfied with ONE snapshot, then you can use DeepFreeze OR ShadowUser.
    Of course each of these softwares work very differently.

You better find out which Image/File Backup software works together with FDISR without problems.

5. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

6. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

On the other hand, Shadowuser makes it possible to exclude some
    directories from reverting to the frozen situation, and can work better,
    with other pc security software.

7. satchmo

satchmo Registered Member

I prefer ShadowUser, because I believe FDISR takes too much disk space saving all those snapshots. Who wants to devote so much space to that.

ShadowUser is an elegant solution and coupled with ShadowProtect, StorageCraft's backup/disater recovery solution I have all the protection I need.

8. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

You can do the same using Faronics Deep Freeze and their free Mapping Tool.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It all depends on what you want to achieve. You really have to think about this thoroughly and you have to know what each software can do and can't do for you.
    IMO pros and cons in softwares don't exist. What a pro is for somebody, can be a con for another person and vice versa.
    There are so many factors involved and you have to cover as much as possible.

Backing up your computer is easy, once you know how to do it. Keeping your backup COMPLETE and CLEAN isn't so easy and that is just one activity on your computer.

10. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Actually, I could see disk space being an issue for some people. However, my thoughts related to disk space is as follows. Hard drives are getting to be so inexpensive that storage space is becoming a non-issue. The price of storage space has been consistantly below 50 cents (U.S.) per gigabyte, in some instances less than 33 cents per gigabyte. With prices that low, should people really be concerned about disk usage?

11. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

I was reading the Manual for FD and came across the Freeze portion. It goes into saying "The storage consists of an archive and a shadow snapshot." So if you freeze a snapshot lets say of 20gb of data and it creates a shadow snapshot of another 20gb. In the end you have your primary 20gb, secondary 20gb, frozen snap 20gb and a shadow snapshot of 20gb for a total 80gb. That is alot of space being taken up just to test a beta Coreforce, which I would like to do. Can anyone explain the way freeze works?

12. LokiLoki

LokiLoki Guest

First, space is not an issue nowadays. What do you save on your hard disk anyway? My 60 gig is more than enough to test software/games with snapshots.

Second, support is very important. You can compare the forum activities between the two. I prefer software that has an active forum.

13. Peter2150

If all you want to do is beta some program you don't need the freeze option. You have a secondary snapshot, so just refresh it, so it is current, then do what ever you want to do, and when done, just boot to secondary and use it to refresh your primary and then boot back to the primary. Voila you beta is gone.

Pete

14. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Thanks, Peter2150 that sounds alot easier than the freeze process.

15. Peter2150

Your welcome. And you will smile with pleasure when one of the tests trashes your machine, and the fix is so easy.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.