Firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TVH, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Im sure most people will agreee that these 3 are the best firewalls: Outpost Pro 2008, Online Armour and Comodo 3.

Im using Outpost at the moment and love it, it along with SAS Pro and Nod32 run very well on my machine. However ive heard great things about comodo and OA. Any opinions on which out of the 3 is best?

Or are they all the same and just as effective as each other (are are low in terms of resource usage?)

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If we're talking about currently developed firewalls, with application control, you certainly forgot Jetico 2, and i believe Kerio is good too. LookNStop is very good, but lacks some things.
    No longer developed and still good - Kerio 2.1.5 and Sygate (personally i don't like Sygate).

There are others, but my experience with them is limited at best.

They all have different approaches, some similarities, but i tend to prefer Comodo/LNS separation of "Global rules" from Application rules - Jetico takes it to a different level, which could be better, honestly i don't know, didn't try version 2 yet, and ver1's installer is stopped by DEP so it's gone forever on my pc (LNS possibly has that problem too, didn't try with DEP AlwaysOn).
    Kerio also has similarities, but it's been a while since i tried it.

Then the application control and pop-ups. LNS requires more work to refine the rules, Comodo is easy once you set the alert lever to what you prefer, Jetico (1 at least) has also features to make custom rules easy (but looking at all the rules and tables can be pretty confusing, taking time to learn it).

Nothing is better than you trying them for yourself, and you'll understand what i said above.
    And the best is really subjective, so it's up to you to see what is the best for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.