Firewalls that offer Wireless Protection

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by renegade08, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

Can you point me out which Firewalls offer Wireless Protection.

I know that Agnitum Outpost (paid) and Comodo do, but i'm not quite sure for others.

Note: I'm planning to connect to open wireless hotspots.

And any other advices for securing pc regarding the above mentioned connection will be highly appreciated.

2. sded

sded Registered Member

A few thoughts. Most firewalls offer a selection for Public networks which have settings essentially for wireless networks where you don't control the network. Windows has this setting for Vista and Windows 7, for example. Online Armor not only lets you untrust the wireless network, it shows all the devices attached and lets you trust them individually in case there is something like a printer attached you would like to use. Or a bad guy you want to watch out for.
    I use open wireless networks and OA frequently with no problems, and have done so for several years. BTW, wifi is really just ethernet over radio, with sometimes things like WPA thrown in that can protect the user to router link also. So the vulnerabilities at the network level are about the same as for a wired network you don't trust.
    As far as using the hotspots, always use SSL email (gmail or equivalent). Financial sites and such are already using https. Other things to watch out for are websites like this one that require your user ID and password to be sent in the clear-so make sure all these are disposable. Don't use the same IDs and passwords on protected sites and vulnerable sites. And be extra alert to your HIPS and firewall alerts for anything you don't recognize as a reasonable response to something you did. Keep your OS up do date, use a good antimalware and keep it up to date (I use Avast!). Just like the wired guys. ;)
    You can also investigate VPNs if you are willing to go to a little more trouble, but I have found them overly complicated for the level of protection most need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.