Firewalls/server rights:

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SG1, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

In the tools-services-downloads section of this site, it is stated to give no program server rights re the firewall: well, after installing DRW's AV its mail checker (or firewall, proper) asked for such rights. If I disallow it, MWPro of course, can't check for mail. But, I think my (older 2.6.231 free ZA) firewall showed DRW's mail checker listening on port 1299, and I think only 25 or 110 is involved in mail process, isn't it?

And I've also long had Naviscope, (an anti-ads/anti-javascript program) in use, and it's listening on port 81 often times; ZA shows it to have hand under the program symbol which implies server rights for said program.

So... while GRC stealth test show the firewall working just great, have I misunderstood the apps based approach?

In other words in my older ZA firewall, if I right click an app's name and then under Internet heading, do I check Allow for the program and then also click Disallow Server?

Then if I right click the app name again, under Local Network category: the program is Allowed, and is allowed Server Rights. (We have just the one PC here at home, on dial-up connection).

Beffudled somedays, more than others, I guess.
    Thanks for help/info, SG1 (Pat)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If I remember the way ZA works I believe that is what you do. Allow an app but disallow server rights.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Messenger requires Server Rights, as does Nod32 Anti-virus, other than this I don't allow anything else, then again I'm not running DRW's AV and its mail checker.

Usually you allow program access in Zone Alarm for programs you are installing, when they try to access the internet. The great majority of programs do not ask for and do not require server rights...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

i am set up that only approved programs can access the internet - zero have server rights and that includes messenger. zonealarm pro's program control is set with o_O for server rights and anything requesting same ZAPro will ask for permission giving me the option to allow or deny. .

under ZAPRO privacy u can set ur mobile code and cookie controls,

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi SG1

Have you tried the combination of allowing server rights for the Local zone and deny for the Internet zone to see if that works?

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.