Firewalls, lots of firewalls

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    There have been discussions before, here and there.
    I'm starting a new thread, cause I want it all neat.
    I'm asking for a favor.
    I would kindly ask users of the following firewalls to give me their reviews and opinions of the user interface, difficulty of usage, difficulty of properly setting and configuring, experience, and VERY Important - does the firewall support home networking?

EZ
    Kerio
    Outpost
    Jetico
    Safe 'n' Sec
    Look 'n' Stop
    Simon 'n' Garfunkel (joke...)
    CHX-I
    Tiny

Likewise, does anyone have an experience with Frisco?

I've gotten my hands on a new experiment animal (re. comp) and I want to try to play. I intend to build a Pentium III server running Linux with Frisco, IP tables or whatnot. And then plug into it a Windows machine and configure it. Any wild ideas? Suggestions?

Mrk

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

To clarify:

Do you mean ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or something else?

You've included Simon and Garfunkel but omitted Sygate...? :p

You mean Freesco? I've used it a while back and found it very good, plus I learnt a hell of a lot just setting it up and configuring it. Even if you don't end up using it, go for it - you'll gain from the exercise and won't ever regret it.

I've used several of the firewalls in your list but don't have time for a full review of each. But very briefly:

Kerio - used 4.1.3 and 2.1.5 - excellent firewalls, simple to install and set up. 2.1.5 needs a fair bit of expertise to set up properly with a complete set of rules, otherwise 4.1.3 does the job with a little more resource usage and a better interface. Does work with ICS.

Jetico - very good firewall. But very onerous to set up due to the number of alerts, plus interface is not very easy to get to grips with. Definitely not for the inexperienced or the impatient. Not tested it with ICS.

Simon 'n' Garfunkel - much too folky/tame for my tastes.

CHX-I - a lean, mean machine. Clean and efficient, but no application filtering. Does the job damn well but needs much expertise and knowledge of protocols to set it up properly. If you can't set up rules for ICS yourself, don't even think about using it.

Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.