Firewall with the fastest BOOTUP time

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 1commander, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1commander

1commander Registered Member

I am using Zonealarm now and it seems extremely slow to bootup. I turn it off and on often, so it's quite the pain. I am looking for suggestions for a comparable product that has a very, very fast boot up and shutdown speed.

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Windows Firewall.

3. 1commander

1commander Registered Member

I haven't used windows firewall in a long, long time, but last time I checked, it didn't have many options available. Can you give any other suggestions on either non-microsoft commercial or freeware products?

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Router SPI Firewall. Or Comodo 3.0.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I agree ;)

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I agree.LOL.

7. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I think we have found the next Vettetech? :D.

8. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Maybe Coolio10, but at my age I bet I am a lot slower to boot up in the morning than Vettetech is. LOL.

9. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

Maybe you could hibernate your computer instead of having to boot up every time?

10. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Ok so why am I being mentioned. LOL. Windows firewall is junk. Comodo and Online Armor boot up about the same. Zone Alarm has a huge boot up problem and shut down problem. Hey Wordward..................thought you didnt like Comodo?

11. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

1. Windows firewall
    2. LooknStop

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

look n stop

13. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

And that is all you need. Who cares about so-called outbound protection. If they get into your house, they are smart enough to get the data out. No firewall will stop that in the real world.

Paranoia builds firewall software sales. I use XP Pro with the windows firewall and NOD32 and Avira on another box. Never had a problem in years- actually ever. Computers boot faster than lightning and I have a lot of programs that load. Firewalls and some AVs can slow your boot-up process to like watching paint dry.

As an experiment, use windows firewall in place of what you are using, and time the difference. The boot-up time saved will be significant in many cases.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  14. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

anything is faster than zone alarm.

Seriously you could even try like kerio, jetico etc and you'll be amazed how much faster it is.

15. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

Online Armor, the next version will be a rocket ;)

Regards,

MaB

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

When on Vista, try the easy VistaFireWallControl 1.2 or buy a router with build in NAT/SPI fw and disable all software firewalls.

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, It is so true for any stationary PC, those ones that are glued to the desk. But...

In the case of mobile/wireless laptops(notebooks), perhaps, better/other options are warranted.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I used ZASS for quite a few years and became used to a slow boot up and a slow shut down. Shut downs were about 38 seconds. I eventually got smart and installed Comodo. Shut downs went to 19 seconds. I am trialing Online Armor at the moment, and it shuts down in 16 to 20 seconds.:D

19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I have used the current Online Armor Free beta and my boot times were very fast.

20. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

You can edit your registry and make Windows shut down faster. My Windows XP shuts down in about 5 sec.:)

21. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Comodo 2.4, just leave the "block outbound connections while booting" option off (default).

Actually most firewalls boot up fast, ZA is a major exception, but why boot so often, just suspend your system, then it starts up in a few seconds.

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Yes, you may be able to shorten window shut-down time considerably by means of registry manipulation or third party app. But the danger of losing critical data during this process is real.

To my knowledge, normal window shut-down involves CSRSS.EXE and Winlogon .exe and the interchange of info/data between these two may play a very important role of deciding the time required for shut-down. Any forceful influence upon these two may cause irreversible consequence to system, resulting in an improper reboot. Be careful.

23. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

How fast are kerio and jetico etc?

On my system ZA is, and always has been, extremely fast at boot up. The True Vector service starts up before just about anything, save for a few system files.

Have a look at the start times on my screen shot and tell me how much better other FWs do.

It's true that the ZA Client doesn't start until later, hence the tray icon is slow, but that is not giving protection, it is vsmon.exe that matters.

Attached Files:

24. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Wrong,wrong,wrong. I have had my computer like this for years with no problems. I dont store any important info on my pc anyways. Its for gaming and browsing. Never causeed 1 single problem nor does it affect my boot up.

25. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Lucky you.

If you simply use your box for gaming and surfing, I would assume you have nothing important to protect. Then

Your security setup could be nakedly striped down, this would hence speed up any system boot up.

A side note for you, if I may. Consider to use vitalization app , such as returnil, or deepfreeze and firewall only. My neighbour just does that for his daily gaming and surfing routines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.