Firewall with schedule rules?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by OmEc, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OmEc

OmEc Registered Member

Hi there...
    I am rookie about firewall tests but I have a question that maybe someone could help me about.

I’ve tried look'n'stop, outpost, sygate and kerio firewalls and I find all of them good. I have read once in this forum that all firewalls work and we should pick one of them depending of our profile as web/lan users. All of them have strong and leek points and there is not the perfect firewall.

Personally I find outpost one of the best but my cable (256) connection gets a bit slow whit it... look'n'stop and sygate are to simple/not technical and kerio would be my choice because has a bit of everything.

My dilemma now is that with Kerio my windows doesn’t update... maybe because the https is blocked or any other port that the S.O. needs to run the update.

Well, I’ve also read that I could create a rule in Kerio that I could Enable/Disable when I would need and that way my windows should update.

All that would be alright if my updates wouldn't run at 3:00 AM when I am sleeping. Can you guys imagine me setting an alarm to wakeup to disable the rule of Kerio for my windows get one update...this way I would update windows myself...LOL

Is there a god firewall with date and time schedule for rules and ports?

Any ideas? Tanx!

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Try NetVeda and Filseclab, both support advanced forms of scheduling.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

To get windows update to work in Kerio 2.15 you need a rule that gives svchost.exe outbound access on TCP ports 80 and 443 to all remote addresses. If you fel allowing it to all remote addresses is to much, you can dig up the ip ranges for ms update, but even those do not work 100% of the time. If you set that rule to log, you will find that it only connects to Uncle Bill's update servers, and occasionally your lan.

By the way, you don't have to use automatic updates. The fixes come out on the second Tuesday of each month. Just do it manually.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

OmEc,

Outpost should not be causing slowdowns in network connections unless there is a CPU utilisation problem. If you are getting high CPU usage with Outpost, check out the Outpost forum FAQ Resolving High CPU Utilisation Issues with Outpost for some possible causes and cures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.