Firewall trashing network speed.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by victorwol, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victorwol

victorwol Registered Member

Hi! I just finished installing from scratch a new notebook, and installed the latest version of ESET Smart Security, it is running under Windows 7 64, with all the latest updates too.

Before installing ESET, my network connection to another machines was giving me an average of 95 MB/s which is normal for a 1Gb Ethenet connection, after installing ESET, it went down to 2MB/s tops.... and I know it is the firewall because if I go to the configuration of the network card and turn off the ESET Personal Firewall it foes back instantaneously to normal....

Any ideas what can be causing this? I'm using similar configuration on another laptop and it is working correctly.

I've tried uninstalling and installing back, and still same problem.

The network card on that laptop is a jMicron PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. The Laptop is a Sager 7200 with Windows 7 64 and 12 Gigs of RAM

I'll appreciate any help since never seen something like this and I have no clue where to start to look. I don't want to use a different antivirus..

Thanks

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What is the difference between the two machines.?

Click the tray icon, open window, on the left side choose log files, choose ESET personal firewall log, and see if it contains any hints..

Similar thread. > https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1755646

3. victorwol

The firewall log have nothing on it, all normal. I'm actually using the same ESET Antivirus / Firewall on all the machines I have. Laptop and Desktops, and never had this problem before.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Maybe a conflict with the ESET program exists on that one particular machine.

As this is a new notebook, providing information on the configuration may be helpful in assisting you with the problem.

5. victorwol

Does the software have a way to save useful information for you?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

SysInspector comes with the program and may help ESET find the problem.

Click the tray icon, open window, on the left side, choose SysInspector, create. This will create a log that ESET can examine.

I would wait for an ESET moderator to comment on this question. Don't post the log here.

7. victorwol

There is definitely something wrong with the firewall, I connected two machines together, direct connection, which made the speed better since seems that I have some sort of problem with the switch, and speed went up to bout 35 MB/s from 2, but if I uninstall the firewall adapter or the software, it goes up to about 100 MB/s if I install the anti-virus only, all goes fine. Now, after this experience, I remember some other computers at office with similar problem which I could not fix, and uninstalled the firewall too, and full speed on the network again.... we are talking about all different machines, HP Z800, Clevo Notebooks EQ7 and 7280, HP XW8400..... something serious is going on with this firewall... and totally random, because it does not happens on all the machines...

I never noticed this because was getting speed that were not that bad, about 50 to 60 MB/s and thought that might be was traffic or HDD speeds, but this made me doubt, and I'm really surprised to see the impact of the firewall on the fast network connections.

I will re install the firewall and save the log, then go back to the antivirus only until this is solved.

Is there a way to install the security center and make the firewall adapter to no install on a certain network card? Or turned it off completely, including the adapter on the network card? So I can turn it ON and Off to test??

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.