Firewall Tests V Winsonar !

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Spanner intheWorks, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

The green icon with a hand adds any program to the safe list, alternately, you can do a system wide scan for exe files to add them yourself.

2. notageek

notageek Registered Member

How can I do a system wide scan?

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

While using WinSonar, I checked Process Explorer. This led me to notice that I have TWO instances of winsonar.exe running. When I tried to kill one of them, WinSonar asked if I want to shut it down altogether.

Is this a *normal* situation? If so, any ideas as to why?

4. notageek

You know I just noticed that too. I found it odd. Plus it takes up a lot more memory than PG takes up.

5. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

Yes, it's normal.

It's a kind of protection against process termination: use Advanced Process Termination (or the task manager) to kill one of the two winsonar.exe.
    The pop up appears, then refresh the list of process and click on "no" in the pop up box and refresh the list in APT process: the second winsonar.exe is here again.

Regards

6. notageek

Two Winsonar.exe files for protection? I didn't know that. Now if they email me back on my problem I might use it again. :)

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks!!! That's good to know -- I thought I was seeing double. :)

I have another question. If a program isn't on my Firewall's "approved list* my Firewall will not allow it to connect to the internet. Therefore, WHY do I need WinSonar?

Also, does SSM use less resources (cpu & memory) than Winsonar?

8. Arup

Arup Guest

SSM in my case didn't even put up a Icon or a folder in my start folder, had to enable it from c:\program files\ssm itself, being Kernel level, caused many problems and eventually had to un-install, the other thing was that on every boot up, the expiry nag screen would pop up, really annoying, no such problems with Winsonar, it is implicitly a freebie.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Arup, have you ever tried Abtrusion Protector? It has a similar function. It will prevent anything from running which isn't approved. There's a free version too.

10. Ah the same trick is used by malware. Winpatrol can handle that though by killing 2 or more processes at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.