Firewall Testing Software?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by garretwp, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garretwp

garretwp Registered Member

Can anyone recommend any good software that will test the firewalls on the computers? I want to be able to test the firewall software on my computers to make sure things are good and tight! Software I am looking for are port scanner type software as well as leaktest software etc. Your suggestions are appreciated!

- Garrett

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

For firewall leaktests, check this site.

If you just want to test your firewall's stealthing abilities, you can go to grc.com and try shields up or pcflank.com and try their stealth or advanced port scanner tests.

3. garretwp

The problem with the online scanners is that it will scan my router/firewall and not the actual computer. I want to test the computer to make sure that only the needed ports are open and all others are stealthed.

- Garrett

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I have not tried any software port scanner, but searching for "port scanner" at FileForum turned up a few results; several are freeware so its worth a try.

5. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

With online scanners, you need to put your computer in your router's DMZ, so it would scan your actual computer and not your router.
    you can also use nmap so you could scan ports on a local network.

6. garretwp

I was thinking of the DMZ option, but I was not sure if the online software would work. I'll give that option a try.

Thanks,
    Garrett

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Garrett:

2 things,

(1) check with you router vendor on exactly how to set up your DMZ. I have a Linksys 4 port and it is possible to do it. Check you have changed the user id and the psw they set first though.

(2) If you are using ZA for example it will declare pcflank.com as a malware site so you would have to allow that site.

It would help you get more detailed help if you indicated you setup in your signature profile. Mine is just one way of doing that.

8. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

http://insecure.org/nmap/
    Just use one of your local PCs to scan other local PCs.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.