Firewall Stealth --Your Expert Advice Needed

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rithopaulo, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rithopaulo

rithopaulo Registered Member

2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

It is an interesting theory.

But I have to say I have never been an firewall enthousiast. In my eyes it's only purpose is to protect you against hackers. The visibility is not the mainconcern for hackers. Also in my eyes a firewall hardly has a role in keeping malware outside.
    That is why I have always just used Windows firewall (which maybe is the best firewall anyway, since Windows 7), although I am now for the first time seriously considering another firewall, just because I like a particular antivirus and I am considering to upgrade to the suite to support that particular vendor: ESET.

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

No where near any kind of expert, but from what I read that having your router "stealthed" is not enough. You need to have very good password protection and NAT enabled. A router is protection against inbound threats. A lot of folks here also have a software firewall also to be able to stop anything outbound.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  4. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

It may or may not matter , but in any case, if all of your ports are closed , what the attacker can do ?
    Nothing ... :)

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

It was discussed here and also here

6. rithopaulo

rithopaulo Registered Member

Thanks guys. The two threads Creer mentioned really helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.