Firewall small office

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by phineas629, Jan 28, 2015.

1. phineas629

phineas629 Registered Member

Hi,

Looking for suggestions. Our health care office currently has 6 desktops, 2 servers, 2 printers. We are using Comcast as our isp. Eventually we will add email and allow remote access to our servers for up to 50 remote connections. We're looking for a firewall that is simple to set up while providing the maximum security possible. Looking to spend no more than about $600. I know there are so many choices but I'm new to this so hoping all the forum members with experience can point me towards the right path.

Thanks

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If you're up to assembling your own, PFSense, Smoothwall, and others can convert a PC into a firewall. Depending on your needs, you can build anything from a basic firewall to much more powerful units. The Smoothwall images are free, Open Source. I believe that many of the others are as well.

3. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

50 Remote connections/VPNs and $600 or less? That only leaves a couple of choices unless you really want to limit yourself. If you can spend the coin, Fortinet is the way to go.. If not, ZyXEL.

You need to go up to the Fortiwifi 60D, but that's $845 with the UTM Bundle.
    http://www.avfirewalls.com/FortiWiFi-60D.asp

ZyXEL USG110 will do it, and is $592...
    http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Next-Generation-Tunnels-Services-USG110/dp/B00KSLN0HG

I wouldn't recommend PfSense or Untangle, simply because you may need some hand holding on it, and Fortinet or ZyXEL can provide that. PfSense and Untangle? Not so much. Untangle support is extremely lacking IMO.

4. phineas629

thanks for the help guys. Any other options if I were to not need the remote connections (there's a possibility of the company hosting unprotected material offsite).

For $600, any firewall hardware that would provide newest technologies and simplicity to help securely send email and sftp? New to all this so I'm looking at different scenarios.

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Untangle or ZyXEL. Remember, all of them have yearly renewals.

6. phineas629

Thanks for the suggestions

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.