Firewall Rules Out of the Box

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SpookyET, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

It's 2007. A firewall should come with rules for the most popular applications out of the box. Kaspersky does this. Comodo does this. Many other do this as well. The ESS firewall does not even have rules for some Windows processes.

I do not like the Automatic mode because it allows everything to connect to the outside. But, I should not have to click "Allow" for the most popular applications for a week to have a decent setup running.

I understand that populating the database is a major effort, but Eset, you have this forum to support you. We can provide you with the rules. You can approve them. This setup works well for other firewall developers.

2. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

there are 2 modes to do just tat, there are rules already in the firewall in +
    Interactive Mode,
    and
    Policy mode.

Advanced settings / Personal Firewall.

When you select one a description appears.

3. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

It does not come with rules for the most popular applications.

4. bluesprite

bluesprite Registered Member

I agree, a whitelist would be nice.

5. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

Outpost has a selection of predefined rules for most popular types of applications (e.g. browser, email, P2P etc.) which define the ports an application is allowed to communicate on.

These rules are available to be applied to other applications if desired.

The predefined rules are regulary added to via Outpost's ImproveNet network.
    When a new rule is created the user may optionaly submit it to ImproveNet where someone may analyse it, and, if approved, it will be pushed out to other users who choose to subscribe to the ImproveNet.

A useful feature - Eset take note......

6. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

I looked at Comodo earlier. Some round here think it is the best thing since a Commodore Pet, but in trying it I found that everytime that ESS checked tfor updates Comodo asked me if I was to allow it to do so, surely you do it once and once only.

7. JohnPlayer

JohnPlayer Registered Member

All I can add to this thread is that ESS is doing a great job for me. I've left it at default and ran 3 scans in the 2 days I've had it on. All clean!!

8. PatG

PatG Registered Member

And that is EXACTLY why I dumped it! Had 12/20 entries for each commonly used programs and got so frustrated giving permission ALL the time. After running ESS FW for a week alongside it, kicked Comodo off my machines. ESS has asked ONLY once and that was it! Happy camper! ;) :thumb:

9. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

Every time I started or restarted my Pc Comodo asked me to allow or deny the same items, after 40 clicks and this every time I dumped it - permanently. and yes, I selected the remember option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.