Firewall rule bugs

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by elapsed, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I've noticed two issues, the former being a lot more regular than the latter.

1. With ESS v3, most of my programs (especially games) would ask for both in and out access, yet with v4, nearly every single program I have has only asked for outbound access. This is especially odd in games (left4dead for example) where it usually asked for both. Infact in my current ruleset I only have 1 program that has asked for inbound, uTorrent. Could it possibly be a TCP/UDP issue? Only asking for Inbound for one of the protocols instead of both?

2. I've noticed, this occurs about once a week, that an app asks for internet access which already has it, but is listed as a different program, example:

I currently have Thunderbird set to allow internet access, today I ran an installer which tried to access the internet, I selected "temporarily deny", and let the installer finish. About 10minutes later I ran Thunderbird and got a popup that the installer wanted internet access again, but.. to connect to my IMAP server? After denying it access I realized that Thunderbird had no access to the internet. So ESS has somehow become confused, thinking the installer is asking for internet, when it wasn't, it was Thunderbird, which already has a rule.

I'm afraid I have no easy way to replicate #2, but #1 happens all the time.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I can say I have noticed the same thing. I have several games that would normally prompt for inbound access that do not with the RC version.

3. elapsed

I should also add that I'm using Vista SP1, as this bug might be Vista-only because of the new filtering.

4. elapsed

Jack are you using vista?

5. elapsed

Still in final .314

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.