Firewall Problem.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by encus, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. encus

encus Registered Member

Hello, Eset.

I'm quite a big fan of ESS but since I read this firewall test report from matousec.com, I begin to worry about the security of my computer. The test result stated that ESS has a very poor firewall. So is Eset aware of this problem? I do hope that you'll strengthen your firewall, hopefully as powerful as Kaspersky :'(

Thank you.

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey encus
    Just out of curiosity, what specific improvements of the firewall do you think Eset is missing, to make it stronger?
    My humble experience with Eset firewall, is that in interactive mode it will give you a great solid control over in-and output. Personally, I have my firewall in automatic mode with exceptions, and it has worked well so far. :) Do not give the many different test too much credit. The only thing that for sure will happen, is that you will go into paranoid mode leaving you eventually totally confused.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  3. encus

encus Registered Member

When I'm using mIRC, my computer often gets scanned by someone, and I think ESS firewall failed to block it. But when I used Kaspersky Internet Security, its firewall immediately blocked it.
    BTW, I'm using automatic mode in ESS firewall because I don't want to be bothered by so many questions in interactive mode.
    Thank you.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please elaborate more on this? For computers outside the Trusted zone, your computer appears stealthy so I'm not sure what scanning you mean. Also let us know what was exactly detected by the other firewall and whether you're behind a router.

5. encus

encus Registered Member

Hello Marcos.

What I mean by someone often scans my computer is that the person knows my ISP, IP address, current city, OS I'm using, something like that, and it really bothers me.
    When using Kaspersky Internet Security, when someone tries to scan my computer, I will get pop up notification saying that someone is trying to scan your computer.
    And yes, I'm behind a router and using wireless network to connect to internet.

Thank you.

6. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

That's just normal Internet noise, random bots scanning entire IP ranges for vulnerable computers, and your IP just happens to be in there. There is no way to prevent that, but any kind of firewall blocks it. In any case, you aren't personally targetted by these scans.

7. encus

encus Registered Member

I'm not quite sure because I'm quite often notified by someone in mIRC via chat that he/she knew all those infos about my computer that I've said before.
    I'm still pretty worried about this.

8. encus

encus Registered Member

Hi Marcos/Aryeh Goretsky.

How do you respond to the matousec.com on ESS firewall test report? Is ESS firewall really that weak?

Lastly, what about my questions above regarding mIRC?

Thank you.

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

You can review the comments in this message thread, as well this comment in ESET's press center and this one in their blog.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10. encus

encus Registered Member

Thanks for your kind answer Aryeh Goretsky :thumb:

11. agoretsky

Hello,

On the mIRC issue, I'd suggest switching to Interactive Mode, at least while using it, if you want to receive notifications about connection attempts from other computers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. encus

encus Registered Member

Hi Aryeh.

I've heard that ESS 5 gives more pop up notification than ESS 4 about firewall, threats, etc even if your firewall is set to automatic mode. Is this true? Does it mean that in this automatic mode if someone in mIRC scans my computer, ESS 5 will give me pop up notification about this?

Thanks.

13. agoretsky

Hello,

I have not noticed any difference in the number of messages popping up between clean installs of ESET Smart Security 4 and ESET Smart Security 5 on a system running Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1 x64 and mIRC. Version 5 does include a HIPS module, so that might generate some additional messages the first time mIRC is run, depending upon how both programs are configured.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

14. encus

encus Registered Member

Ok. Thanks again for your answer, Aryeh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.