Firewall not working at all

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by ASpace, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Please , accept my apologies if it has already been reported ...

Installed ESS v4.0.68 on XP SP3 Microsoft VM and the firewall is not working at all if used with Interactive , Learning , Policy-based , Automatic+rules modes . It works only in Automatic mode but nothing else . No application is allowed , no pop-ups , no nothing . Even tried creating rules manually , nothing .

The VM setup is quite basic - just basic XP Home SP3 + VM add-ons + Firefox v3.0.4 + UPnP device host service disabled + SSDP discovery service disabled .

Tried repair , still it is not working .
    I have no problem such problems on Vista .

2. s4u

s4u Registered Member

That really is strange. Working fine here in Vista.

3. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

I think this is the same issue as posted here. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225607

It does seem that the firewall settings do not operate correctly in vista *86.
    Automatic mode is ok, interactive is not interactive, very passive - so passive it will not allow anything to open as the dialogue box for allow/deny does not appear.

This seems a MAJOR bug, and hopefully the developers will rectify this soon, and not blame other software etc for the flaw.

4. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Learning and interactive mode both seem to have been working correctly here...

XP Pro sp3

Cheers :)

5. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

Same here.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , it seems the same .

Have you tried other modes ? On my VM XP setup other modes don't work , too.

@s4u

I wrote that I have no problems with the firewall in Vista :)

7. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

Sorry, I missed that. :)

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Can anybody from ESET reproduce the problem ? It seems I am not the only one with it ?

9. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi HiTech_boy,

I have recently resolved a similar issue with ESS v3 on XP Pro by using netsh winsock reset even though in the particular circumstance seemed that it should not have been necessary.

Knowing your experience with such things I would trust that you have already tried this?

Cheers :)

10. dorgane

dorgane Guest

Me i try : netsh winsock reset
    but interactives mode don't run again :(; he don't ask for allow/deny popup :'(

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hey . :) I haven't tried repairing the winsock because the setup was so fresh that I doubt the Winsock was corrupted . Actually nothing shows that (as you write)

I installed EAV 4 beta on the VM and no problems with it . I played the whole afternoon with the VM and coudn't make the firewall of ESS v4 work .

Thanks for the suggestion for the winsock . I'll try it tomorrow.

P.S. I think that this build of EAV v4 is less buggy than ESS v4 . It may be just in my head but ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.