Firewall Killer - AntiSec

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by WE Sim, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Pete,

If I understand you correctly, your questions isn't that much about the TerminateProcess API call, but about how software should act in case such a call was made by a malicious nastie.

If my memory serves me well, ZA, BOClean and some others do have a module implemented doing exactly as you asked for, and TDS4 will have such a module. Ideally, such a module would not be related directly to the Windows kernel; nasties can run parallel to or under the Windows stack. If only MSoft would not declare the kernel totally "of limit" it would be much easier to cope with all this. Several requests have been made for that - with no avail.

Renaming such a module seems a technical impossibility to me at first glance.

Nevertheless, the ultimate conclusion stays up: in someting malicious would kill the .exe, one should be sure to clean one's system first.

Sophisticated nasties are capable to recreate themselves (trojanservers) within say a 5 second interval - or to "melt". This struggle is far from over yet IMHO.

Being noticed surely is a nice asset - nevertheless, fact remains one deals with an infected system at that time. Coping with the infection should have number 1 proirity.

regards.

paul

2. snowman

snowman Guest

Paul

please excuse me.....I am rather struggling to fully comprehend the real danger of this particular exploitor....

reason being......perhaps you may recall that ZA was a target of this type of exploit in the not so far past......an at the time a third party provided a patch....later za provided a new version that could not be exploited in this manner..............an here is where I am confused.........the first exploit (patched) was a remote terminate process.........the now exploit.....an correct me if I'm mistaken.....is a trogan type that would need to installed............nevertheless...the terminate process patch should work in either case.....

3. Paul Wilders

snowman,

This exploit is no more dangerous as an CTRL+ALT+DEL. It succesfully terminates the targetted running app - no more, no less. The app is not being put out of business for good at all.

Guess yor are referring to the ZA Mutex Patch - a nice and necessary patch - at least at that time. Many still aplly this patch.

I agree with your conclusion: in the end in comes down to this TP Call. As long as the fact such a call happens and the .exe is shut down will be known in any way to the system user, IMHO it's no big deal - on the contrary: I consider it (from a black hat side) a dumb move: alerting a system user something is fooling with his system is the best way to make sure to take care of it.

Bottom line: IMHO this one is kidd stuff. Anyone not being asleep (and keeping his security apps updated) should not worry that much.

regards.

paul

4. snowman

snowman Guest

Paul

thank you....I realize the value of your time an appreciate your reply.

yes the mutex patch was the one I had in mind....I didn't know it was still obtainable.

I had a feeling that you might grade this exploit along the lines that you did......an its taken as a valued opinion........an again..thanks

snowman

5. Paul Wilders

My pleasure, snowman  ;).

regards.

paul

6. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

THXS snow man and Paul=)

now i can sleep tight cuddled with my rocket launcher

7. linney

linney Registered Member

Some background here on the Author of Antisec, and other information.

http://forums.zdnet.com/group/zd.Security.Virus.Alerts/cnet/cnetnt.tpt/@thread@23733@F@1@D-,D@ALL/@article@mark@23733?EXP=ALL&VWM=&ROS=&OC=300

8. Mr.Blaze

Blaze pull out 36mm 6 shot rotary multi launcher =)lock and load baby.

These mofo going dowen.

mass clicking sounds in back grounds=) =) =) =) =) =).

bunch of litle eyes begin to rise frome the shadows lol

9. Checkout;

Checkout; Guest

Blaze, to paraphrase Bing Crosby:

Wiredniss becom yuo,
    it go wiht you hiar...

:) :) :) ;)

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I saw AntiSec is in the database of BOClean and TDS-3, and I just read in an update notice by Paul W. that it is also in the database of TrojanHunter.

11. Mr.Blaze

12. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Spyware Fighter

I believe that Bionet can corrupt and put security software out of business.

http://www.nsclean.com/psc-bionet.html

See SYNOPSIS:

13. Paul Wilders

Hi blacksheep,

If my memory serves me well, we did provide that first copy to PSC/BOClean  ;).

IMHO it's not the question if a security app can be put out of business: many, many nastie do have sortalike abilities. Question is:

- can/will this be notified by design from the security software in question;

- if so, is it possible to clean a system and (if necessary start using the security software.

IMO that's a conformative in regard to both.

regards,

paul

14. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Paul was talking about the TerminateProcess() function.
    Kevin McAleavey (the creator of BOClean) made a very interesting posting at GRC.Security.Software in a thread called "Strange backdoor.trojan behavior".
    https://grc.com/x/news.exe?cmd=article&group=grc.security.software&item=56531&utag=

-begin quote-

Let's fire up the wayback machine to March 22, 2001 when we posted a
    report on our site regarding a specific trojan that exploited the
    TerminateProcess() function on EVERY major antivirus and firewall in
    existence ... please note in particular the THIRD paragraph down:

http://www.nsclean.com/psc-bion.html   (Bionet 3.13)

and then the list beneath that of what it took out. You could also add to
    the list if you knew the specific programs to target. VSMON would get
    yanked first, then the ZA GUI. Same for "watchdogs" employed by other
    software to protect the main program.

Since BioNet, hundreds of other trojans incorporated this "ability" to
    take out all sorts of programs, most notably "MoSucker" which went beyond
    the original "one-shot" of BioNet and would keep nailing the various
    programs every second. Whereas with BioNet, you could restart the programs
    affected (if they weren't rendered corrupt) and hopefully nail them.
    MoSucker and a number of others however would keep whacking the security
    software and take it out before it even had a chance to get started, much
    less get to work. Fortunately, most of the hundreds of trojans designed to
    take out security software are VERY poorly written and don't work. However
    this OLD NEWS issue was what forced us to redesign BOClean 4.07 into
    BOClean 4.08 last year in order to do as much as possible to prevent it
    since our previous separate "watchdog" program was just as exposed as
    BOClean itself was at the time.

What the DIRT thing shows is old news. Nailing security programs with
    TerminateProcess actually goes back a couple of years now but BioNet
    actually made it push button easy which is why we made note of it in the
    report last year.

The REAL PROBLEM however isn't in the security programs, the problem is
    Microsoft's DELIBERATE DESIGN. THERE IS NO SOLUTION FOR TERMINATEPROCESS other than having Microsoft put up a "Kill? Y/N" box before the kernel's TerminateProcess() function pulls the rug out. Nobody but Microsoft can fix this and they have consistently, irrevocably REFUSED to do so. We've been after them for years about this ourselves as have been many others to no avail.

========================
    <snip>
    ========================

What's going on is a truly bad design and while the discussion has
    centered on blaming the various security companies for the problem when
    it's really Microsoft's fault (although all of us have done our utmost to
    circumvent this as best as we can) there IS NO SOLUTION until Microsoft is
    made to deal with this
    . I'd encourage folks to make the point to Microsoft
    personally here.

<snip>

If Microsoft could be encouraged to do this, you could STILL hit YES on a
    hung program to kill it, but more importantly if malware decided to kill
    your firewall, you could let the box sit there while you determined WHY
    the box appeared and then decide Yes or No to the box ... but in the
    ongoing debate here, this whole point fo where the ACTUAL fault lies has
    been completely ignored.

Needless to say, I've been getting squatola done on my end here with all
    the questions pertaining to this dirtbag parlor trick. Real trojans today
    have that capability and they have had it for well over two years now.
    Anyone want to get Microsoft interested in fixing THIS hole? It's not like
    it's not been noticed or is a new one.

-end quote-

15. Paul Wilders

As I posted on the 9th:

This is common knowledge btw; most security software designers in regard to these nasties fully agree on this for ages (and Kevin/PSC knows!).

For the record: the mentioned above analysis is not related to the last version from Bionet - although in the principal stays the same.

regards.

paul

16. snowman

snowman Guest

* The Principal Stays The Same*

although Paul  says it much better than I could ever hope to.....this was what I was pointing to when
    making my inquiry......

not being a programer/coder..nor a security expert..I would dare not be so foolish as to be judgemental of the capabilities of any virus/trogan...an would instead heed the advice/opinions of those who are really capable and knowledgeable in this field...

there is evidence that this type of exploit has been around awhile (other like trogans) ......an my personal thoughts on this particular trogan is that its fourth rate...an isn't going to cause the sky to fall.  But what I think isn't important.....its what people in the security community who do their jobs to earn their livehood who's opinions should be taken seriously.

will I lose sleep over this exploit...hardly....will I tremble with fear when using my computer because this exploit is in the wilds.......the only trembles will be from not have my morning coffee.....none other.

this issue has been in the face of M$ for years...one among many.

countless hours are spent by computer users around the world trying to protect themselfs from exploits that should be the responsibility of M$.......an the people in the security community have sleepless nights trying to provide tools to assist users in their ongoing struggle........

I am not going to keep a glass of water nearby to pour over my cpu/monitor in case this exploit should hit my computer.......in fact I consider Brilliant to be a far worse threat.....

my humble lil opnion

snowman

17. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Spyware Fighter

Thanks FanJ and Paul,

Yes I was aware the TerminateProcess problem is an OS flaw and old news. The trojan coder vs AT coder, virus coder vs AV coder = coder wars with not much help from MS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.