FireHole

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by BVV, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BVV

BVV Guest

Why is it that FireHole is only intercepted by LnS when the browser isn't running already? When it is running, FH can connect to the internet without any reaction from LnS.

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey BVV

You using Opera browser or something else?

3. BVV

BVV Guest

I recently switched to Greenbrowser, which is a frontend for IE similar to the better known MYie. If my memory serves me correctly, the same thing FireHole/LnS) happened when I was using K-Meleon. If you mean to say that it depends on the browser I'll do some testing to see what happens with a different browser.

4. Phant0m

On Windows XP and perhaps 2K if you use Firehole with Internet Explorer regardless of an existence session, firehole will fail.

5. BVV

BVV Guest

I have reinstalled K-Meleon (which is not based on IE) and made it the default browser on Windows 2000. The same thing happens as before; when the browser is already running firehole can connect, when firehole has to launch the browser LnS intercepts it.

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, this is true, if the browser is already started by an allowed process it is not started again when Firehole perfoms its test and so Look 'n' Stop doesn't detect this launch.
    With the 2.05b1, activate the DLL filtering and normally Look 'n' Stop should detect and block the firedll (used by firehole) in all cases.

Frederic

7. BVV

BVV Guest

Thanks for your reply Frderic. It's working perfectly now.

8. Phant0m

***** DLL Filtering BUG?!?!?!? *****

With Firehole.exe v1.01 added to Application Filtering List with Launching rights ONLY like I do number of other Applications like Explorer.exe, and FIREDLL.DLL configured as deny with logging flag set, executing Firehole v1.01 and clicking “Start” button the Firehole Leaktests successfully bypasses DLL Filtering Layer.

As you probably noticed I created a rule named FireHole $1.01, it is configured to Block Outgoing packets to the Firehole server (66.39.30.176) via www-http port (80tcp). If in fact FIREDLL.DLL was truly prevented from connecting rights the Internet Filtering Layer shouldn’t be catching Firehole packets informatics…

Attached Files:

9. Phant0m

&

Attached Files:

10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Phant0m,

Is the problem systematic ? Look 'n' Stop never detects firedll.dll ?

If you change the Log attributes is it the same ?

The fact to see the packets in the log is coherent with the result of test inside Firehole. The only strange thing is that firedll was anyway blocked as trying to connect.

I will try to reproduce that.

Thanks,

Frederic

11. Phant0m

Hey Frederic

No Look ‘n’ Stop does detect FIREDLL.DLL, but I just blocked it and configured warning flag to show you it was successfully being seen, In both cases though it still leaks.

12. Phant0m

Indeed this anomaly is easily reproduced every time… ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.