Firefox's dl scanning takes ages, freezes FF

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by dancedar, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dancedar

dancedar Registered Member

Virus signature database: 3980 (20090401)
    Update module: 1028 (20090302)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1204 (20090401)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1092 (20090309)
    Archive support module: 1092 (20090324)
    Cleaner module: 1039 (20090320)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1010 (20090302)
    Personal firewall module: 1044 (20090121)
    Antispam module: 1011 (20090114)
    SysInspector module: 1211 (20090325)
    Self-defense support module : 1005 (20081105)

If I download a file, .doc or something in Firefox 3.0.8 NOD32 SS scans it, but it takes ages, freezing the browser; v3 used to do it instantaneaously. Not a 100kb pdf or .doc takes 15-30 seconds.
    Anything larger like a 100mb .rar takes perhaps 2 minutes, freezes Firefox during this and brings browsing and downloading to a halt.

Any ideas what this could be due to? I installed over v3 using old settings etc.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Firefox, starting with V3, scans downloads with whatever AV software is locally installed. While I personally would not recommend disabling this, it is possible to do so:

Type about:config into the Firefox location bar and filter for the string browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone. The default value of that parameter is true which means that scans will be done whenever a file is downloaded. Setting it to false will disable the automatic virus scanning.

3. dancedar

AKAJohnDoe - I know this; this is what the post is about.
    It used to be instantaneous, but with v4 has come a big delay/wait/scane time. I don't download anything that's harmful but still, would like to see it fixed/know why it's doing this.

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

It would seem to be a NOD32 V4 issue rather than a Firefox V3 issue.

I do not use NOD32. Is it possible that you are experiencing double scans? Is there an option in NOD32 to scan downloads? IIRC, the main reason the about:config entry was implemented into Firefox was to provide a means to prevent double scans from occuring.

5. dancedar

It's not an FF issue; I've posted it in the Eset SS forum for a reason :) I don't think it's double scanning- it's far slower than that. Can't see an option specifically which would double scan but Ill try it.

6. GamaFu

GamaFu Registered Member

I've been experiencing the same problem. I'd like to know if it can be fixed too. I am using Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 with ESET Smart Security 4.0.417.0.

7. supacool

supacool Registered Member

Hi

The same for me. The issue is not related to a specific browser though. It also takes very long to open a file downloaded with Opera or any other browser. A solution would be great. Didn't have these issues with Eset Smart Security 3. Also updated to version 4.0.417 yesterday, but no remedy.

Thanks!

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you are able to reproduce the problem at any time, please disable real time and web protection temporarily, one at a time. In which case does the problem cease occuring?
    Also please provide information about your OS and installed service packs (e.g. Vista 32-bit, SP1).

9. matthewg1

matthewg1 Registered Member

I am running ESS v4.0.314 on one machine and v4.0.417 on another. Ever since receiving one of the virus signature update pushes occurring within the past 24 hours, I have been experiencing the same behavior on both machines. I first noticed it at about 20:45 PDT 4/1/09 when attempting to download ImgBurn v2.4.3.0 installer SetupImgBurn_2.4.3.0.exe (2MB).

Symptoms occur on both browsers whether Real-time File System Protection or Web Access Protection is disabled.

I tried an install of v4.0.417 with updates over v4.0.314 - same results.

System Info:
    2+GB Memory
    Windows XP SP3 with all updates
    Windows Defender
    Firefox 3.0.8
    IE v7

These kind of symptoms have occurred in the past even with ESS v3 - see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=221612

In that case, they subsided only after a subsequent VS Update push.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  10. Marcos

SetupImgBurn_2.4.3.0.exe contains a file that takes quite long to scan. We'll fix this in one of the upcoming updates. If you come across other such files, contact customer care or PM me directly and we'll do our best to fix this asap. In the future, the scan time in cases like this will be improved signifficantly, but currently it cannot be reduced without jeopardizing security and allowing certain malware to come through.

11. dancedar

I'm on XP and I suspect everyone else is- fully patched, SP3, ESETSS, Firefox 3.0.8 all up-to-date; I remember this being fine maybe 2 weeks ago, and I guess through an update (possibly the v4 push, I don't follow it that carefully) this started. What is strange is scanning these downloaded files with nod32ss is almost instantaneous using the on-demand scanner, but anything scanned by it sent from Firefox (for me) takes an absolute age. Even if a file takes quite long to scan surely a 2mb one shouldn't even be noticable; a 30kb zip with some lightroom presets (basically just text files) takes a good 10 seconds from firefox- on-demand it's instant.

12. matthewg1

On the machine with ESS v4.0.417 where I actually installed ImgBurn v2.4.3.0 (as opposed to just downloading the installer to test ESS and then deleting) I experienced high CPU utilization by ekrn.exe upon execution of ImgBurn and other programs.

13. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

I have AVG IS and the same problem. won't download anything. so i'm going to turn that new v3 setting off.

14. matthewg1

UPDATE

The issue with ImgBurn from LightningUK remains open.

I downloaded the latest ImgBurn v2.4.4.0 and at the end of the download at the time of the virus scan, the CPU for ekrn.exe went off the charts. The same thing happened at install, at ImgBurn launch and windows startup; ESS seems to dislike even the program link on the desktop.

System runs fine with ImgBurn v2.4.2.0

Please push an update to fix.

Thanks.

ESS v4.0.417.0
    2+GB Memory
    Windows XP SP3 with all updates
    Windows Defender
    Firefox 3.0.8
    IE v7

15. Marcos

Are you positive that you use default options? It takes more time to scan the file only with Advanced heuristics enabled which is not used on file access by default, only for newly created/modified files.

16. ragingdrunk

ragingdrunk Registered Member

I have this problem, too. If I disable advanced heuristics in ess, the problem goes away, firefox doesn't freeze at all.

17. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Begging everyone's pardon, since I have never used FireFox....

Is this problem you are experiencing occuring specifically when you are downloading files?

Can you close down the browser and still maintain the download connection(like Internet Explorer does)?

What if you were to shut down the browser after starting the download (granted if it's possible to maintain the download link) and then start a new browser session? Would you still get the freeze up?

Just though I'd ask...:)

18. Mike Brandon

Mike Brandon Registered Member

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem as above. Turning off Heuristics doesn't help me though, only completely disabling Security Suite. Have also disabled download scanning in the Firefox config.

Has anyone tried a 3rd party download manager yet? That's probably my next plan.

19. matthewg1

Antivirus and antispyware -> Real-time file system protection -> Advanced heuristics on file execution
    has never been enabled.

Also remember:
    And just so we're clear, the problem occurs:

1) on d/l with FF or IE
    2) at install
    and
    3) on execution.

BTW, it looks like PREVX also had trouble with false positives (FPs) and Imgburn 2.4.4.0 but they got it fixed - see post 3740

20. matthewg1

Bump to Marcos

Statuso_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.