Firefox vs Cyberfox or Pale Moon.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Months ago or should I say several Firefox versions ago, Cyberfox (still v23.) Speed-Battle scores went from 11xx to 9xx. Pale Moon v24 also tests 9xx. Yet x32 Firerfox is consistently testing 1xxx. All three are running in Sandboxie and all three are faster (and always have been) than x64 IE10 which is not sandboxed. Any theories why a x32 browser is faster than x64 browsers? Thank you!

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Palemoon x32 version 24, doesn't play nice with the latest Sandboxie beta on Windows 8. It doesn't terminate, however no such problem with Palemoon x64 version 24 and greater

3. ratchet

I am testing P-M x64. That is my point. Firefox is faster than the two x64 variants. I don't understand it.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

6. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I've used all of them, also lawlietfox etc, and my conclusion is if -

1. you have a fairly modern pc with decent ram (anything in last 4 years, at least 4gb ram), and
    2. you run a bunch of addons

then speed differences are negligible. All the benchmarks and html tests don't matter in that case.

7. ratchet

Indeed, so it seems. I built this PC with SSD and 8GBs of RAM. Just find it strange that with the exact same Ff profiles the x64 variants aren't testing as good as x32 Ff. What is the point of me using Cyberfox I say?

8. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

To take full advantage of X64 architecture. Cyberfox won't run on a 32 bit operating sytem.

9. ratchet

I am x64. That is my whole point!

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I find the official Firefox to be faster and more compatible than any other browser based on it. I gave up playing with them.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Practically speaking what does that mean? I used Waterfox and Cyberfox for a while and could not see any upside, but there were occasional compatibility issues so I didn't see the point.

12. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

The websites for x64 browsers explicitly mention there aren't much benefits to running them, and potential conflicts. Its the same reason why MS recommends running a x32 version of Office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.