Firefox Virtual Browser

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Kees1958, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Thanks to CloneRanger I tried this, se picture seems to do what it promisses. All works, no flash cookies left on real system for instance

Attached Files:

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Kees1958

Thanks for the thanks :) but you didn't need to do it 3 times :D

It was Cudni who first posted it, and i then tested it, and some others installed ot too.

Was this a new version you tried ?

There were various problems with the previous version - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=277548

3. Kees1958

I completely missed other thread. Well this one worked allright. I had tweaked the ini file in the KACE folder to not show advertisements (just removed this) after first run.

regards

4. CloneRanger

@ Kees1958

Pleasure :)

So how did you hear about it, i don't remember posting about it elsewhere ?

That's a relief :D

advertisements :eek: Didn't know that, good tip :thumb:

Let us know what you still think about it, after using it for a while :thumb:

5. Kees1958

You posted about other KACE freebies, that is how I learned about safe browser. Well it is quite good actually. Everything works out of the box. Only nuisance is that your profile is reset also after clearing the sandbox.

6. CloneRanger

OK :)

Good to hear :thumb: so i guess they must have improved since the other thread :D

That's not clever, or what people want :thumbd:

7. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

KACE sandbox < sbie ?

8. Kees1958

DELL safe browser sandbox is a KACE alternative to Virtual Machine Thin Application implementation. Maning it virtualises on machine level for only one application: Firefox

Sandboxie is an application virtualisation program, which can virtualise as many programs as you like.

In theory machine virtualisation is stronger than application virtualisation, so answer is KACE-FF > SBIE

You can virtualise more aps with SBIE than KACE, so your answer is KACE-FF < SBIE

You can tweak SBIE to the max, while KACE is a fixed out of the box solution, so your answer is KACE-FF < SBIE

KACE starts slower than SBIE, so your answer is KACE-FF < SBIE

etc

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  9. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

By the above logic the following holds

VBox>Sandboxie>KACE so we should not bother with Sandboxie and go straight to full virtualization,,,,,,of course there is the cost of the OS licence to take into account but....

It really depends on what your needs are. If all you want is protection while browsing then KACE will probably do. If you need or want more, then the other alternatives will have to be considered.

That being said I tried installing KACE and all I get upon opening VBrowser is the standard appearing FF. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or perhaps need to do?

10. Kees1958

Sorry, guys

The question 'A < B' was to abstract to answer correctly so I intended to respond what do you mean.
    The signs as I interpretate it, is:L

> Greather than
    < smaller yhan

B < A, can be read as B is smaller than A or A is greather than B.

11. bgoodman4

VBox is better than Sandboxie and Sandboxie is better than Virtual FireFox.

Why, because VBox virtualizes your entire system which is better than virtualizing some apps which is better than being able to virtualize just one app. However if you only are concerned about virtualizing 1 app, and that app is your browser, then the others are overkill.

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You know folks, there is nothing wrong with employing all three together if your system has the power to do so, I have done similar things in the past. Only thing I had to do was figure out a way of saving bookmarks which I did by using a third-party bookmark program (simply copy and paste which I speeded up by using a macro program). Good grief, now days we have all of these tremendous cpu's and tons of RAM, why let them just sit there doing nothing?

Acadia

13. Serapis

Thanks for your reply Kees, you have understood my question correctly. So what you are saying is that this is identical or similar to the firefox virtaual appliance that was designed for vmware? Its protection is considered better/robust than sandboxie on x64 only , or on both platforms?

14. Kees1958

Well KACE claims to be a competing product for ThinAps (of VM ware). So it should match FF virtal appliance. In theory Machine Virtualisation should be more robust than Application Virtualisation on all platforms. A bit hard to yes or no towards the claims of software producers without having tested it. Tzuk is honest towards messaging containment to services in x64. is KACE simular honest? I really can't tell.

15. bgoodman4

I posted this quote above but it seems to have not been noticed. I would like to use the VB but cannot get it to show up on my system. I think perhaps FF is automatically updating on installation and overwriting the VB version. Is this likely? If so what can I do about it? I guess I could disconnect from the net during installation, that should/would prevent the update. If I do this and I get a successful installation of the VB is it possible to turn off auto update? If so could I trouble one of you for a point in the right direction?

Please and thank you.

16. Kees1958

Well,

Deïnstall Firefox. Go to the KACE folder into you program files directory. There is (I am from a different PC now) something which is called create container (an executable). Start it and install FF plus Flash and all your plug-ins.

Worked for me.

I also got the problem that after some time FF ran as admin not virtualised, so I created a new one myself.

2 Things 2 worry about
    a) It is just plain stupid virtualisation gets broken after update
    b) It is dumb that you don't provide the full version for free (just one browser implementation), but with the browser you get the full version un cut.

So my guess is that VM thinaps is a better but more expensive choice, cameyo with all its bugs, gave me a better feeling

Regards Kees

17. Serapis

Kees, after some research I found out that KACE is applciation virtualization rather than hardware virtualization -- which means it functions in a similar manner to sandboxie. That explains why they have no x64 version.

18. bgoodman4

Thank you, I guess I will pass on this one. I don't want to have to set up the browser from scratch and if its going to break on a semi-regular basis I am not interested. I will take a look at the program you suggest.

19. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Buster doesn't exactly give this a glowing endorsement:

-http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=56051#56051

20. Kees1958

Well download suggest differently. Good find than, when it does not support x64

Attached Files:

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Maybe it's a badly placed note stating XP 64 is supported? I run into that sometimes. I also run into too much of "64 bit support in paid but not free versions". That one ticks me off to no end. On-topic, I simply don't see what this virtual browser has over, say, the free version of Sandboxie or even Returnil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.