Firefox question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saraceno, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I haven't used firefox regularly in a long time.

Just a couple of questions.

I use version 2 portable at work, and it starts up quite quickly. I only have IE Tab installed and it works well. Now using the latest standard install version 3.5.3. Do others still experience some delay when starting? I find it takes about 15 or so seconds.

Also, do these 'configuration tips' still work like they did with older versions?

One last question, no way of opening tabs next to the current tab like in Chrome and Opera?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Saraceno, my FF 3.5.3, on a cold start, takes about 10 seconds to open. Afterwards, less than 5 seconds.

I don't use any configuration tips so I can't help you there.

If you click the + sign (next to the current tab), a new tab opens to the right of it. Review Tabbed Browsing for more tips.

Want to see Firefox's future? Try Namoroka, Portable Edition 3.6 Alpha 1, courtesy of PortableApps.com.

3. Saraceno

Thank you for the reply JR. I should have mentioned, in case others wondered, I'm opening firefox unsandboxed.

I've read others have mentioned from a cold start, their version takes awhile. You know if mozilla is hoping to improve start times from their browser?

Regarding tabs, it took a little while to get used to it, but Chrome by default and Opera if setup, can open tabs next to the current tab. Example: So if you have 10 windows open, and the third window along you open a link in a new tab, rather than opening it right at the end, it will open next to the third tab.

Overall, liking the extensions, especially one you mentioned previously, Ghostery is great. :thumb:

I'll give the portable version from portableapps a whirl, and see if it opens quicker.

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I still have a 17 second delay on a cold start. It used to be 26 seconds.:p

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The long cold start happens here any time that I use Firefox.
    That seems to be common.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Saraceno, you're welcome! To answer your questions:

Agree with the Tester, in regards to FF 3.5.3's common cold start delay. If you try the Namoroka portable, you'll see an improvement in cold start times of about 5 seconds (at least in my system it opens that fast).

FF always open a new tab at the end, no matter how many are opened, but perhaps someone has the tweak to imitate Chrome/Opera? :doubt:
    Do take a look at the Tools > Options > Tabs panel to set up tab options.

Ghostery is great. Make sure you open its Options > Blocking tab and select All, besides Enable web bug blocking for the add-on to work correctly.

8. Basic

Basic Registered Member

There are a number of extensions that will do this for you.

Tabs Open Relative 0.4

Next Tab 0.2.3

Tab Mix Lite CE 3.0.5

Tab Mix Plus 0.3.8.1

Of the above extensions Tab Mix Lite CE has all the options I want in a tab extension so it fits me. Tab Mix Plus has way to many options. Tab Open Relative and Next Tab should fit your needs if all you want is for a tab to open next to current tab.

9. Basic

Basic Registered Member

Thanks Pinga. Good link to have.

When IE Tab first came out I gave it a whirl. The thing that turned me off about it is that it was using the IE engine but seemed to be bypassing my firewall. Can't remember if I was using Outpost or Look'n'Stop but I was not getting a alert that IE was launching so I uninstalled it. I have not tried it since so I don't if this would still be a problem.

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

so wat exactly does ghostery do?

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

firzen771, of all the things that track your movements online, Web Bugs are inserted in many Web site pages today and Ghostery blocks those hidden Web Bugs and tracking services.

12. firzen771

o i see, sounds useful.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

firzen771, if you use Firefox, I recommend Ghostery and you'll be surprised at the number of Web bugs you will now see!

14. firzen771

will try it out now.

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I'll repeat what I told Saraceno: Make sure you open its Options > Blocking tab and select All, besides Enable web bug blocking for the add-on to work correctly.

16. Saraceno

Good tip JR, took me a few seconds to work out how to switch Ghostery on.

Also, firefox opens instantly now. I tried in safe mode, and still the long delay. I removed threatfire, and opened straight away.

Might be a small bug with threatfire. :cautious:

17. Saraceno

What other extensions you use JR?

I noticed BetterPrivacy removes flash cookies, what firefox normally leaves behind and CCleaner finds. Otherwise just running Ghostery.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

19. Saraceno

Forgot to say thanks JR. :thumb: :thumb:

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Saraceno, better late than never! ;) You're welcome. Take care.

21. Saraceno

Trying the ones you mentioned. Even the web developer ones. :)

Think Flagfox is pretty cool. Similar to Online Armor's firewall providing the country info in connections. Useful with performing a quick whois, say when buying a product from a supplier.

Also, the ability to turn javascript off/on with one click. QuickJava

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  22. Saraceno

Thanks for the links. Noticed the guy who creates Tab Open Relative has developed Tab Kit. Groups the tabs in colour like the latest version of IE (eg. all Wilders tabs will be blue, a news website with multiple tabs will be grouped together in yellow, amazon tabs in red etc), opens new tabs next to the specific group, and can also open tabs across multiple lines.

Some great extensions.

23. Basic

Basic Registered Member

Your welcome.

Thanks for the link to Tab Kit. I will have to check it out.

24. Saraceno

I'm just using Tab Kit with the multiple row setup (gives you an initial option to setup standard, or multiple rows, or rows down the left-hand side).

Haven't changed any other settings, and the tabs open how they do in Google Chrome, only coloured. Glad I found this extension. Users of Opera and Chrome would like this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.