Firefox Lag?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TrBot, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Hi guys

I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser (because I hate IE) and it has been
    extremely slow, sometimes when I Click the firefox icon on desktop. the browser takes up to 20 seconds to open.

I heard about a tweak (about: ) thing in the search bar and tried that and it is still slow as hell.

Although other browsers don't take this long to load, I do like Firefox's features.

*I have checked for adware/spyware etc but I haven't got any.
    I use Microsoft (former Giant) Anti-spyware and Norton Antivirus 2005 (both are updated)

Any reasons why it is awfully slow?

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

have you tried clearing the cache or uninstalling and reinstalling after a disk cleanup and defrag

3. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

I delete the cache on a regular basis, and I also have uninstall/reinstall. I defrag last night (defrag said "You do not need to defragment this volume" but I did).

Also, I tend to keep everything neat and only have very few things on this pc, just what I need.

4. Down_Under

Down_Under Registered Member

5. Firefox is slow to start compared to IE because unlike the latter, it doesnt preload part of itself on startup. You can use a firefox preloader utility to help
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/ , but if your system is old and slow it will still take a while to load up.

In such a case I highly recommend you use k-melon http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

K-melon like firefox is based on gecko as well, but is built only for windows (firefox is cross plaform for mac, linux etc) . It doesnt use XUL widgets , but native windows widgets, which speeds things up.

Feature wise,K-melon has at least as many features as firefox.

The tweaks here only speed up page loading, but will not help with the inital loading up of firefox.

6. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Thank you for that advice clues :)

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you could try - right-clicking the icon you use to launch FF and clicking Properties then in the Taget bit add - /Prefetch:1 with a space, like below
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1

i have it but it doesn't do much for me :D

8. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Thankyou, just tried it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.