FireFox Jybe !

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Can't tell, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I really don't know what to think about it. I don't think I would use it myself without checking on it a lot more ;)

bigc

3. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

Typo?

You need to register to download it... + the title for the download page is "Untitled Document"

Reminds me of Skype's website for some reason...

Seems like a cool concept, surfing the web with another person in real-time... :D

They just need to work on their website some more and I think that'll be good... (while they're at that, they should remove that annoying register protection to download to help their product spread to the world.)

EDIT: More typos (I'm a sucker for spelling+grammar, any mistake on a site trying to market a product bugs me...)

State?! What state?! I only know PROVINCES! They should think about making it apply to EVERYONE. Say City instead of State.

Search Engines?

I'm too tired to go look at the Help and FAQ sections...BTW, all of these quotes were from the main page only!

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

P2P application and all that goes with it.

5. jackmott

jackmott Registered Member

Jybe is actually a classic client server application.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Q: What is Jybe?

Jybe is a Peer to Peer plug-in that enables people to surf the web and chat together all in real time. This is not a proxy service but turns your web browser into a de-facto IM client. Version 1.0 is the first but we anticipate putting out new releases so check back often.

http://www.jybe.com/FAQ.html#What is Browser Buddy

7. jackmott

An unfortunate innacuracy in our FAQ. I do apologize for the shortcomings of our webpage. It is a work in progress and will improve.

I wrote the jybe server, I can assure you, it is not peer to peer at this time.

8. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Soo, if it's "not peer to peer at this time", when will it be?? How can it not be??

9. jackmott

How can it not be?

The same way every client server system isn't peer to peer.

Each client talks to our server, which then forwards the messages to the other clients in the session. This would be immediately apparent to anyone who spent 10 minutes with netstat or any other network diagnostic.

We may at some point in the future add a direct connection option, much like AOL instant messenger does, to enable some higher bandwidth features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.