Firefox... good browser?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hello,

I recently installed Mozilla Firefox (latest version) and I was wondering if it is a good browser. I notice some webpages look different, but hoping I made a wise choice. I tried Opera for 2 weeks, tried Netscape 8, and have been using Internet Explorer but have caught so many viruses with it even with NOD32, my antivirus with a wilders security forums member named Blackspear, his guide.

So, my other question is will Firefox prevent viruses at all or files being downloaded to my computer without my permission?

Thank you all - hope you can help!

Gracie :)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It won't keep virus's off your computer by it self but it makes it a lot harder for malware to let it self in. In my opinion Opera is without a doubt the most secure browser available at this time. But opera does have just a little bit of a learning curve. But it is well worth the time it takes to learn about it. I have used it now for several years and wouldn't change back to firefox or IE for anything.

3. gracie123

Hi bigc,

Okay thank you. I will keep that in mind and also give Opera another chance.

4. bigc73542

Firefox is a good browser but as everyone has an opinion mine is in the previous post. But I do believe you would really like opera once you figure out all of it's settings. ;)

5. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Firefox is great, used it for ages........but now I'm liking Opera much better! :D

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm married with Mozilla (Firefox + Thunderbird), but according my readings, I have to admit that Opera is safer.

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The 30 Days to becoming an Opera8 Lover site is a good guide to Opera's features and includes a lot of information that even experienced users should find useful (like hitting the spacebar scrolls you down a page).

Firefox is simpler to start with but you need to take time to review all the extensions available to really get the best out of it.

8. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

I'm still in love with Maxthon, very fast tabbled browser.

9. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Firefox is good stuff for sure. I like it better than Opera.

10. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Opera is nice and fast.

But i can do so many things with firefox and extensions , and i invested way too much time on firefox to switch to something which has less stuff.

11. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have eventually taken my first steps into a new browser and am running Opera.
    I have configured some of it but know there is a way to go to have everything configured for total confidence in what I can or can't do. I think the 30days is so true as day one I was going to uninstall but I have kept going and still have it installed :)
    The move cache bit still puzzles me o_O

I am considering installing FF as it is so much talked about but reading this post I note that perhaps I am best with Opera alone.
    I have only ever used IE/Avant (a shell for IE) so Opera's style was completely new to me.
    I did have to ask a lot of questions but now find myself browsing with Opera more than Avant.

I still have to install on my main PC which is why I thought maybe FF which I have puzzled about for so long. I thought FF was the complicated one which is why I chose to install Opera with a little extra help from forum members.

12. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

FF isn't really complicated unless you want it to be.

In fact, if you make heavy use of many Avant's features, and are deadset ofngetting them, Firefox is a much better bet than opera because the former can use extensions.

Opera can be configured quite a bit and starts off the bat with slightly more than firefox, but overall if you are willing to install extensions which I did, it can do a lot more.

My Maxthon copy looks a lot and functions a lot like firefox in fact. Though firefox has slightly more :)

13. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

My version of Avant is antique ;) mainly due to the fact it is the tabbed/group browsing I use it for. I really do not make use of all the other features which is probably why I find Opera suitable for my browsing. Avant are in Alpha with a FF based browser - Ocra.

I still would consider trying FF when the new version is realsed but would not wan to load it with too many extensions. Fine if there are ones which will prove useful to me, so far Opera is neat and I do like the magic wand and notepad. I didn't think I would launch Opera everytime I used my notebook (don't have it installed on my main PC) but I find I am using it a lot more than my other browser. Wonder what I would use if I had 3 browsers :)

Considered Netscape but thought it had too many things I really didn't need.
    Wiht Ocra in the pipleline it will be another choice to add but I certainly don't want 4 or 5 to actually install :eek:

14. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have noticed a couple of times that NOD32 has alerted me on some exploits when visiting som shady websites. But I just disabled java in firefox and after that nothing has been reported in the last year. (never understood why java is enabled in the first place. I havent found any use of it anyway)
    I also use the extension noscript wich lets me decide what pages are alowed to run javascripts within firefox. Just a precaution.

But you will never have to use antispyware programs anymore when switching to firefox, thats for sure :)
    I like Opera too, if it was as configurable as firefox I would use it.

15. TNT

TNT Registered Member

No, it is not.

16. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Please direct me to a site that installs spyware with firefox. I really want to know if such exists. The antispyware programs (spybot s&d, giant, ad-aware and so on) havent found anything on my computer the last two years since i switched to firefox. Well, some tracking cookies maybe.

17. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

The only thing I don't like about Opera is you can't use Roboform to log in, and if I used Opera, then I have to type in all of my user and password all over again. :) I have like 43 log in and place I go to often. hheheheh :) :D I will stick to Firefox!!!

18. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

?? Opera has the 'magic wand' which remembers any username/password combos you want. All you do is click the wand and it signs in for you...
    http://www.opera.com/features/wand/

19. bigc73542

I like the wand ;)

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm in love with Maxthon for more than 2 years... :D

Just waiting for the IE 7.0 kernel...

If I had to choose another one browser, whould be Opera.
    Firefox still need a lot of improvements, and on every update a lot of extensions doesn't work, a lot of extensions became the Firefox very slow and unstable...

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Firefox works perfectly for me. The new version will be even faster. I have nineteen! extensions installed. :D
    I use the Outlook 2003 theme which seems to run better than a lot of others I have tried.
    If you want a browser that is really speedy, try K-Meleon. It is written strictly for Windows and not cross platform like Firefox. And, it already has a lot of features that Firefox requires extensions for such as full screen.

22. gracie123

Hi Everyone, so sorry I didn't reply sooner. I set it as "Instant Email Notification" but it didn't send me anything. I just got home. After reading all the reviews, I would say I'd like to try Opera (again) but I do have one question.

Does Firefox or Opera have more problems trying to load pages like they would show in Internet Explorer? I know Netscape 8 has a "rendering engine" feature but I didn't like the browser to much.

Thanks, hope to get a reply or so :)

Gracie

23. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Firefox and Opera comply with existing web standards (CSS, ECMA, HTML) better than Internet Explorer (which has not been updated for the last couple of years so its CSS 2.1 support is notably lacking). However, there are (and likely always will be) lazy and incompetent webmasters who design pages that work for IE only.

24. gracie123

Hi Paranoid2000,

I understand.... I decided I'd keep Firefox installed, and redownloaded/installed Opera. I think I like Opera so far more, although in your opinion, is Opera more secure?

25. bigc73542

I believe that opera is absolutly the safest browser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.