Firefox Bookmarks...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgfalconboy, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

Trying to restore a bookmark file into firefox. Using the firefox "organize bookmarks" feature I look for the files in my usb drive where I saved them but they're not there. I then copied them to my desktop and still they don't show up while using the organize bookmarks feature. Something I'm missing or is there some other way to get this back up file into firefox to restore them?

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Are you using "Import and Backup" on the top middle of the Organize Bookmarks screen? Is the backup file HTML?

3. innerpeace

4. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Just copy and replace the places.sqlite file fom data/profile.

5. bgfalconboy

Yeah, I'm using the "Import and Backup" button. The thing is I'm not sure what kind of file it is. I don't think its html though. I don't remember getting a prompt to decide what file I wanted to the file to be when I saved it. Could having the wrong file type prevent me from ever being able to restore them?:doubt:

Edit* Ok, I think the file type is JSON. That's what I believe was showing in the file type menu when I selected backup to save my bookmarks. I don't understand anything about that file type so others will have to help me here. I have this eerie feeling I'm screwed though.

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Nah, you're OK. You having a problem "seeing" that extension? Explorer has some "hide known extension" setting. Change it if need be.

7. raakii

raakii Registered Member

There are just two files in profile folder that determine the bookmark and addons , it is places.sqlite and extension folder .Easiest would copy and replace them.

8. innerpeace

JSON should be ok. I think it's new to version 3 Firefox and above. If you can't see the .JSON file in the Firefox menu try what GlobalForce mentioned.

You may have to click Apply, then OK. Also, my settings in the pic won't be like yours so leave them be.
    folderopt.JPG

9. innerpeace

Another question. Do you have anything that show in the Import and Backup section under Restore? They should be listed as dates. You can restore one of them or choose file and under file type it should show JSON. It does show JSON as file type doesn't it? If so, point it to your file and it should work.

10. bgfalconboy

Ok, tried that and nothing. The file is still not showing up. I even put the file on my desktop and it doesn't show up when I go to My Computer and then Desktop. o_O

11. bgfalconboy

There's nothing to restore as my current HD is totally new as the last one ended up being toast. All the blue screen errors/check disk scans on startup I was having(see other threads) ended up being the end of my HD so this HD is complete new one.

12. innerpeace

I have another idea but I'm not sure it will work. Do you see my pic. See the "show hidden files and folders". Check it, just like mine click apply and ok. Or better yet, make sure that it and the hide extensions for known file type is unchecked and click apply to All folders.

Now go to My Computer - Local Disk C: - Documents and Settings - (your user name) - Application Data - Mozilla -
    Firefox - Profiles - (whatever your profile is or it will be random letters and numbers.default). Is there a file named "bookmarkbackups" (without the quotes)? If not, create one in your profile folder. Now, find your JSON file on the desktop and rename it to "bookmarks-2009-01-13.json" without the quotes. Copy and paste that file and place it in the bookmarkbackups folder. Close that window and fire up Firefox and go to Import and Backup and Restore and see if 2009-01-13 shows, if so, choose it. You may need to restart Firefox.

If you can't see the Application Data folder I mentioned, let me know. I'm not sure the above will work or if your JSON file may not actually contain your bookmarks. If anybody sees any reason this won't work, please let us know.

PS, the name of the JSON file is irrelevant. I just took one of mine as an example because it's the default format and I didn't want to use todays date. Also, if your file is already named in that format, you can keep it and just copy and paste it to the bookmarkbackups folder then restore it in Firefox.

13. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

14. bgfalconboy

Ok, I found that bookmark backups folder and copied the file from my desktop to it but its still not showing up in Firefox's "Import and Backup/restore". I made sure those boxes you mentioned were unchecked as well. One thing I've noticed is that the other bookmark files from the 3 days since i've had the new HD show the files as JSON File , while the older file I'm trying to restore just says File in the description.

15. bgfalconboy

Yeah, I've seen that file or folder but I'm still not sure what you mean by copy and replace them. Replace what with what exactly?

16. innerpeace

Is this in the profiles - bookmarksbackups folder that is doesn't say JSON file on your old file? If you right-click that file and click properties under type of file does it say JSON? If not, you may need to bring up a fresh copy of your stored JSON file and try again with it.

Did you have a look through the link GlobalForce posted? Especially look at the last link cor-el posted in that thread.

Also, I have to ask, but are you new to Sandboxie? If so, you are trying to import/export with Firefox un-sandboxed aren't you? Firefox is not a "Forced Program" is it? Sorry, I had to ask as I want to eliminate Sbie as the problem. There is an option to allow direct access to Firefox bookmarks, but I'm not sure if it's checked by default.

17. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Hello bgfalconboy, copy the places.sqlite file and keep it safely.In case u want to get back to the old bookmarks after clean installation or in case of unnecessary changes made to bookmarks, u can paste and replace the existing places.sqlite file in data/profile folder to get back ur bookmarks.

In case if u dont have such a backup, do as suggested by Innerpeace.Backing ur bookmarks in json file is not good idea , try mozbackup or copy the places files time if want to save the bookamrks.

18. bgfalconboy

No its not a Sandboxie problem. I think I may have just figured it out , I'm certain I'm screwed now. I believe when I first made the backup copy of my old bookmarks I wanted to edit the name of the file a bit from what it was as default. I may have deleted the whole default line including the .json extension. I think this is why the file still doesn't show up in the bookmarks folder even after copying it there when I go through Firefox's "Organize BookMarks" Import and Backup/Choose File and then looking for the file in the bookmarks folder. I'm guessing saving the file minus the .json extension screwed me?

19. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

You should be able to fix that by renaming with the extension. You may have to point Firefox to it by right click > open with.

Hopefully, someone can confirm this fix. Never had to do it.

20. bgfalconboy

Damn, your a genius. Can not believe I didn't think of this before. It worked , thank-you sir.:thumb:

PS. Not only did the restore give me back my bookmarks , it gave me my rss feeds too which shocked me. Now I'm really stoked.

21. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Glad we got it worked out for you. :D

22. innerpeace

Good call ThunderZ :thumb:

bgfalconboy,

You may want to go and reverse the hidden folders setting especially if other people use your machine. I had you do it so you could see the Application Data folder which contains the Mozilla folder because it is hidden.

FWIW, I backup the entire Mozilla folder periodically as well as my bookmarks in case of some sort of disaster. I also have a Yahoo account and backup my bookmarks there. http://bookmarks.yahoo.com/

I'm glad you finally got your bookmarks back :).

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.