Firefox annoying problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by samy, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samy

samy Registered Member

I am running XP Pro on my desk computer and using firefox browser for more than five years with no problem.
    Today I found out a very annoying problem:
    When I am clicking on the icon to open the browser, the browser open and everything work smooth, but if I click again on the icon to open a second one (when the first one is still open) in order to browse with both separately , the browser does not open ( not responding). I can click on the firefox icon with no reaction, i.e. I have only one tab open and cannot open a second one
    If I exit firefox (close the open tab) I cannot reopen the browser . In order to open it again , I have to restart the PC.
    I uninstall the firefox program and reinstall it again, but above issue remain.
    I cleared the ProfileManager and reinstalled the program , same issue.

Need assistance. Thanks

2. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Can you use File-->New Window(Ctrl+N)?

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

4. samy

samy Registered Member

Thanks for your prompt answers

Where is this file located? and how to use Ctrl+N

Open "Tools" --> Add-ons --> Extensions
    The add-ons listed there are:
    - IDM - Internet download Manager
    - iMesh Mediabar
    - Java console 6.0.15
    - Java Console 6.0.14
    - Java Quick Starter 1.0
    - Microsoft .Net framework Assistant 0.0.0

Are these the add-ons I have to disable?

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

update your Java to the latest 6.0.20 and remove old installs via Add/Remove programs. The version(s) you have have security issues

6. samy

samy Registered Member

Hello Sadeghi85 and GlobalForce

I asked my kid if he ran or install any program for the last two days.
    I was told he ran "a-squared" (free program) manual scan but removed all the findings including the "low-risk" ones which are not automatically sticked (for removal) by the program, but left to be sticked at the user discretion.
    I want to the quarantine of a-squared and found out some Mozilla "cookies.sqlite"' remove from Mozillz\Firefox\Profiles and also a file C:\.....\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{B7D3E479-........35F419}\chrome\imeshmediabar.jar
    I restored the last one from the quarantine, restarted the PC.... which solved the issue.

Note:
    a-squared mentioned the file above as "Riskware.AdWare.W32.Mostofate!IK" while other protection programs (Nod32, Malwarebyte, etc.) are not detecting it. Is it a false positive detection?
    I am myself running a-squared very seldom, for information only, being told it has a lot of false positives detection.

Thanks a lot for your time

7. samy

samy Registered Member

Thanks Cudni for your remark
    the Add/Remove programs showed only "Java(TM)6 Update15"
    I installed the update 20 which installed and override (discarded) the existing one.
    Thanks

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Samy,

I take iMesh is something your kid runs on the family computer, an item you're comfortable with?
    How about the rest of it - anything other than that suspect file concerning you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.