Firefox 9

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Nothing toooo exciting. But there hasn't been anything too exciting in a while for any browser =p

Type Interface is nice, wasn't that in 8?

Either way, Javascript improvements are always welcome.

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Type Inference is in 9. Maybe it was scheduled for 8 but slipped?

In any case, this will train bloggers and tech sites into not making updates into an "occasion" :D

A few boring updates and they'll give up trying to make traffic-grabbing headlines.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I stopped using FF about a year ago, when I had many problems with version 4 betas. I changed first to Chrome, later to IE9 and recently to IE9 x64. Some sites don´t work well with IE9, so I have been using FF as secondary browser.

Now after trying v 9 for several days, I think I am going back to FF. It has worked very well for me, a really good browsing experience.

5. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Damn firefox they just released version 8 and now version 9 is in the work. I hate so many upgrades. I maybe forced to choose to another browser that does not update so often. Atleast they should give us 6 months with version 8 before bringing the next version.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Turn off the updates. You know that's possible, don't you?

7. Hungry Man

I don't really get how anyone could dislike updates. As long as they don't break things it shouldn't be an issue.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The add-ons are biting Firefox. Unlike Chrome's, these add-ons can go deep and hence are more liable to break. Then there are people who get attached to add-ons and get traumatized when they don't work and curse Mozilla, not realizing that it's up to the add-on's creator, not Mozilla, to ensure its compatibility.

It's quite funny that even the add-on compatibility reporter, something made by Mozilla, was broken for a while and wouldn't play nice with Aurora (Fx 10), marking all extensions as incompatible.

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, at the moment Firefox is on a role. The further it gets away from the crappola legacy #3/3.6 series the better! It just seems to be getting better with each new release. Hopefully Mozilla won't fork Firefox up again LOL! Speaking of forks, there's always SeaMonkey I suppose. ;)

10. Hungry Man

It's less of a "go deep" issue and more of the release cycle being hard on devs.

Chromium devs have, from the beginning, had access to dev channel and they've known how to dev for future releases from the beginning.

Firefox had years of very little update progress and only recently switched to this new release cycle. The devs are either jumping ship or still getting used to this cycle.

To make matters worse up until Firefox 8 or 9 or 10 (I can't remember) any extension that didn't explicitly say "Hey, I'm compatible with this version" was turned off by default.

Really, Firefox didn't have any real upgrades for a long long times. Devs just haven't had to do any work to keep up with the updates.

11. guest

guest Guest

I switched from release (stable) channel to the beta channel a few days ago with FX Portable. I have many extensions, all working fine.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Report it. I can't change it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.