Firefox 12...what's your say?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I'm still using Firefox 8...and am happy with coz I was then thinking that firefox are just becoming more problematic than before. It's mprovements I think are not that good enough to bother me much coz maybe it didn't really got that huge improvement and impact on my browsing.

I am hesitant on installing Firefox 12. Coz I think it is heavier than Firefox 8. My machine was still WinXP Sp3 Pro.

What's your real experiences with the Firefox 12? Any problem with it? Some says it opens slow, crashes, incompatibility issues, still memory leak...etc...:doubt:

2. guest

guest Guest

Using the portable version, no issues at all.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think that if your PC has enough power & speed it's fine. Waterfox 12 is a nice 64 bit addition to it as well (if you have 64 bit).

Fx 12 is getting a little heavy on my notebook though, & I have been experimenting with alternatives.

Try comparing it with SeaMonkey 2.9.1

4. Daveski17

Or that. If you use a portable version on your C-Drive it is recommended that you make a new folder for it, rather than copying it to Program Files, as there can be problems otherwise.

5. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Or wait for Firefox 15 and upgrade -http://www.ghacks.net/2012/05/08/breakthrough-mozilla-to-resolve-add-on-memory-leaks/ :D
    EDIT: For me, an updated browser is always better.

6. guest

guest Guest

I would like to add that Firefox 8 has unfixed security vulnerabilities.

If you really don't want the latest Firefox, the only other option (from a security conscious point of view) is Firefox 10 (already 10.0.3) which is ESR (Extended Support Release) and will be supported with regular security updates until January, 2013.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

(Why do you want the C drive? When I used Windows, I tried to leave the C drive well alone putting everything that I could, including Sandboxie's sandbox, onto other logical drives. As portableapps.com suggest, the path should be relatively short and something like Drive_Name:\PortableApps (from memory). JTH seemed to suggest that having unconventional paths and paths with spaces could have unwanted consequences.)

Re. any version of any software, there are always people with problems. We only know since they complain. As has been suggested, the best way for users of the MS Windows OS is to try out the portableapps version (from the hard drive).

8. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

My FF didn't work very well because of the memory issues. And after the frequent updates that people have been complained about, it's working much better in my case. While it seems chrome is getting a little heavy these days.

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

seems to be working fine here on the portable version

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I suggest the version 13 beta. Seems to me it runs a little smoother than 12 does.

11. Daveski17

Errmmmm .... *gazes into middle distance for a while & ponders the mysteries of the cosmos* ... Well, he told me just to make a folder for it & it would be fine. It is fine. I'm happy with that. I reckon he was right.

I'm not sure what your point is here, although that isn't anything new, to be honest. Firefox is getting a tad bloaty, even by Mozilla's reckoning. Both Waterfox & Firefox are great on my desktop PC (which has some power) but Firefox isn't doing so well on my notebook. I'm guessing Mozilla are working on the bloat & the issues known about & related to it.

12. ABee

ABee Registered Member

No problems here. I also used v. 8 for some time before upgrading to 12.
    I don't see any difference. You need to beg off (or not) 'Test Pilot' or whatever they're calling the the new info gathering thing they've come up with, but that's about it. Other than that, I don't notice a whit's worth of difference between 8 and 12.

Memory leak fixes? Gimme a break. They've been "fixing" those in every version released since about 1.5.
    I don't even look to see how much memory Firefox might be using anymore. I don't care. My machine has plenty of memory, and it's there to be used. If the browser's performance were an issue, then I'd care. But it's not.

On the other hand, I don't load up with a ton of extensions either, which of itself vastly reduces any potential 'browser issues'.

I'm not recommending you do or don't upgrade to v. 12. I'm saying only that it's basically the same browser as v. 8, v. 6, v.4, or any other.
    It opens, it takes me to websites, it renders pages, I can watch videos, I can do all the things I'm supposed to be able to do with a browser. With the Adblock Plus extension I don't see ads, with NoScript I have control over javascripting. I make adjustments in 'about:config' to help guard my privacy as best I can, or to set other preferences. Color me happy.

I try to pay no attention to the new version numbering foolishness, other than that I no longer always install a newer version just because they've given it a higher 'major version' number.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

All I noticed was the new, annoying tab page, which I quickly disabled. Other than that, there's nothing new to "see". FF 12 is performing flawless for me, same as it has been for some time. As for the memory leaks, *shrug*. Way back in the earlier days, you often noticed the problem quite a bit. Whether or not they're still happening I can't say, as I don't pay any attention to it and, like ABee, they don't affect performance for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.