Firefox 1.0.7 or Opera 8.5?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Indeed, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Adblock is the only reason why I use FF over Opera. I'm sure Opera has something familiar (I used one a few years back) but it didn't work half the times.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Opera Ad Filter works nice, so does Ad Blocker hosts file which does an overall system wide ad blocking.

3. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I would like to see a web site developer answer this question. I do some lite developement and I HATE INTERNET EXPLORER! My sites are never interpreted properly by IE. So I have to tweak my code for IE. I don't bother with Opera because these are internal site that will be viewed by Firefox and IE. But I have heard some complaints from developers about Opera as well.

4. Reve_Etrange

Reve_Etrange Registered Member

Yeah FF adblock is better than Opera equivalent. Read, FF adblock is less intrusive (click and discard) and less tech-oriented than adfilter or proxomitron and co. I personally use admuncher, shareware but does the job pretty well.

-RE

5. Reve_Etrange

Sorry, what question? FF or Opera? I do some web development, and both are good citizens, with special features for the web developer (specific toolbars, menus and stylesheet). Opera JavaScript's engine rocks, but so does FF's venkman debugger. As a web developper you need every browser installed anyway.

-RE

6. Brian N

As long as you design your websites according to the w3 standards, each and every browser will be able to display it properly (except IE 7, but I guess they are working on it).

7. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I do design and validate my sites to W3 standards, and they are not interpreted propberly by IE. Just about every style rule in my style sheets have to have an exception created just for IE. So essentially I have to create 2 style sheets within the one.

All browsers have their interpretation issues. Fortunatly for me, our company only allows 2 browsers, IE and Firefox, so I only have to design for 2. I pity the poor developer that has to design his site for all of the different browsers out there (Unix, Linux, Mac, WebTV, etc.).

Finally, W3 validation does not guarentee proper interpretation as you imply. Proper interpretation is up to the browser developer. All validation does, in essense, is help you to confirm that your document adhears to the standard that you declare in your DOCTYPE statement. This validation helps to raise confidence, but not guarentee, that your document will be interpreted properly by a browser the supports the standard that you declare.

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

8. Brian N

That's why I only use CSS for the basic stuff, as I have learned that not all browsers will display it correctly (even if it obey the W3 standards).
    So currently I only use tables. It's old and annoying to use, but atleast it works on ALL browsers :)

9. Reve_Etrange

Shame on you :)
    Learn how to work around small CSS rendering discrepencies, it's worth it. IE is the only bad guy actually, so it's mainly about 'hacks for IE'.

-RE

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Ime hmmm. OK straight up, Opera makes FF look like a toy. I went through a phase where FF was my primary browser, at FF1.0. But then Opera 8 came out. Haven't looked back. The more extensions I put into FF the less stable & responsive it got. I even belong to the FF forum. And I'll probably try it again, probably around FF2.0. Ahh, but with Opera everything runs great. Any changes I want to make in Opera are available. I just search the Opera forums, yup member there also. If I don't find what I need. I post about it. When I receive the answer & implement it. My Opera experience gets better. Not less stable or quirky like with FF.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Opera's loading time itself makes it a pleasure to use, plus its interface and overall smoothness is an asset, Opera is also the grand daddy among browsers being around from a ling time, I have been using it since version 2x and even though I try out all the alternatives, Opera remains my explorer and mail client.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I also made the change to Opera a couple of years ago and haven't missed the other browsers since, except when I update windows:doubt: But you got to do what you got to do. I have the latest FF installed but very rarely use it. the same with netscape.

13. fat cow

fat cow Guest

i use firefox as main, opera as secondary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.