Filesclab FW blocking Windows Update

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by iminj, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iminj

iminj Guest

I've installed Fileseclab FireWall Pro on my XP Pro-SP2 system.

I use Firefox as my default browser. When I open IE6 to go to the MS Windows Update site, Filesclab blocks the "checking for updates" process. When I open the Filseclab monitor (very nice feature by the way), I notice repetitive "DENY" actions due to built-in rule #10011 (SYSTEM and also svchost).

Anyone else experiencing this .. and is there a work around ?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

XPhome sp2--no problems with Windows update using Filseclab. Do you have any proxies, etc, running?

3. iminj

iminj Guest

No proxies. Please tell me what to look for to verify this.

I am behind a Linksys wireless Router (hardware firewall) - and I'm using KAV, Spybot TeaTimer resident, Spywareblaster, and the MVPS Hosts file.

Thanks.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Looking at the status page in Filseclab, are you in the General mode? (Recommended)

5. iminj

iminj Guest

Yes, I am in the General Mode.

I also tried lowering the "Security Level" from Medium to Low, but the update process was still blocked by internal rule 10011.

When I stop the firewall, the update proceeds.

Thanks.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Anything in your hosts file that would cause this?
    Filseclab was setup on my machine in the general mode and I am also behind a Linksys router and it worked from the start.

Is your settings page showing this:

http://www.filseclab.com/eng/help/xfilter.htm

7. iminj

iminj Guest

I checked the Filseclab "settings" tab, and the 4th box (auto-trust microsoft) is already checked.

For a while I thought that my hosts might be the culprit. But when I switched off the firewall, i was able to update windows WITHOUT touching hosts or any of my other security software or settings.

So - it's probably safe to assume that I have some weird rules conflict in Filseclab.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

A conflict somewhere for sure. The only I can suggest is look through the rules carefully.

Were you using another firewall previously with no problems? I assume you have the built in Windows firewall off as well.

I will mention, you have to let svchost.exe access Windows Update or it will fail.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  9. iminj

iminj Guest

Previous firewall was Kerio 4 and there was no issues with Windows Update.

Your last sentence might be problem. Can you please tell me HOW I permit svchost to connect to Windows update ? How do I write this rule in Filseclab ?

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Right click on the rule that is being denied for options.

11. iminj

iminj Guest

SUCCESS !!!

In monitor, I right-clicked the DENY svchost line and was presented with an option to create a new rule to ALLOW for "this program" - which was Windows Update. Easy ... I didn't realize this was possible.

Thanks for your patience and assistance ronjor !

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Great! Good luck. :)

13. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi ronjor
    Pardon the continuation of this thread (I didn't want to create a new one)
    I decided to try out Filescab and Dr web spidermail would not fuction (I can fix that) and (this is the bad part), I couldn't get an Internet connection. No IP from the router.
    Once I uninstalled filescab, everything went back to being operational.
    Am I missing something?
    Cheers :)

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Fredra

I would look in rules, network type, intranet, and see if the router address shows up.

15. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

That should do it, I found this out quite by accident and it took care of the same problem fredra described.
    I really like the firewall but switched back to kerio 2.1.5, old faithful.

16. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi ronjor
    Thanks for your feedback and assistance.

"I would look in rules, network type, intranet, and see if the router address shows up."

Yes it is there, however, still no network connectivity.
    Using "ipconfig /renew" tells me that I have a broken network connection. That means IMHO that I am not getting a DHCP address from the router.
    I am having a conflict somewhere, so I will keep searching and digging deeper to find the answer.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

fredra

I went back to another firewall. I had a freeze this evening and had to do a hard reboot. I think one of my email checking programs may have had something to do with it. I could find nothing in the event viewer however.
    While I liked Filseclab, I don't have much patience with computer freezes. :)
    Hopefully, one of the Filseclab users here can help you.

18. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Thanks for all your help, it is appreciated.

19. djdrdisco

djdrdisco Guest

I think this isyour answer, or at least, it is a separate problem that mkes troubleshooting much harder. Windows Update DOES NOt like firefox. Even without fiesclab in place, Microsoft does not allow any windows updates because firefox does not have any active x controls, which are at the heart of windows update processes.
    Doctor Disco

20. djdrdisco

djdrdisco Guest

Another post comment on the above. You have to click on update in the filesclab program to get stuff from the Internet to make it work. If youhaven't done that, it will be a problem. I think it if found in the status page at the bottom upon installation.

Doc disco

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.