File System Invalid

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by robfo, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robfo

robfo Registered Member

Backup and Recovery, v. 2010, updated 11844.0001. Windows XP home.
    Main page shows that file system is invalid and that drive c:\ is invalid. What does this mean? How to correct? Drive info includes disk size, reported 149 GB; it is actually 160 GB.
    Windows chkdsk does not report any problem.
    The option to "check disk integrity is grayed out.
    No action taken. No log available. Links do not appear in Start Menu. What to do?

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Could you please post here screen shot of Windows Disk Management:
    * right-click on 'My computer' and choose 'Manage'
    * select 'Disk Management' in 'Storage'
    * maximize the window
    * click 'PrintScreen'
    * save image

I suppose, there are geometry issues with your partition C:/.

Additionally, please attach STUBACT.LOG from C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\[Program Name]\Program\

3. robfo

robfo Registered Member

Thank you for your reply. Screen shot of Drive Management is attached. Another hard drive health application also reports that there is no problem with the main drive. I do not find the .LOG file you requested. From the .jpg file alone, can you please tell what you see that may have produced the difficulty?

Attached Files:

4. Mech_An

robfo

According to screenshot, HDD is 149GB. You said that it is actually 160GB. It sound strange.

Could you please post here screenshot of main Backup & Recovery window, where C:/ is shown as invalid?

Also it's really difficult to say what's wrong without LOG file.
    Is B&R installed to C:/program files? or you use second partition D:/ for programs?
    If yes, please go to D:\<folder where programs are installed>\Paragon Software\Backup and Recovery 10 \program\ and search for stubact.log.

5. robfo

robfo Registered Member

Other diagnostics and windows device manager show 160 GB. I uninstalled B&R, thinking that a clean reinstall might show correct information, but now I'm guessing that some unidentifiable glitch in the system is interfering with the attempt at a flawless install, and I hesitate to proceed.

I made initial installation after having closed running applications, except for antivirus, which only disables controls.

If I decide to reinstall, I'll post here again. Thank you for your assistance.

6. Evmerritt

Evmerritt Registered Member

Have same problem with my first use of Paragon (free version) on laptop. Trying to switch from TrueImage by first using Paragon free version before buying it.

Have attached a camera-based screen shot of Paragon Recovery CD booted laptop with error.

Have also attached a Windows-based Disk Management screen shot of same system showing no errors.

Any help out there?

Thanks, Ev Merritt

Attached Files:

7. Evmerritt

Evmerritt Registered Member

Sorry, forgot to mention in last post, I am using:

Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011 (Advanced) Free! from Recovery Media CD boot. Version 10.0.15.12802 (19.01.11) (Advanced) Free.

-Ev Merritt

8. wptski

wptski Registered Member

If your saying that the Recovery Media Builder CD doesn't boot, that's a very common issue with other threads here on the subject. I started one myself.

9. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

That indicates a geometry problem with the primary partition, C.

Since windows disk management doesn't care, it is probably an overrun at the end of the partition.

Usually can be fixed by using Vista/7 disk management to shrink the suspect partition a tiny bit - then extend it again .

Unfortunately , I don't think you can do that with XP non destructively.

149gb seems right for a nominal 160gb drive.

10. Mech_An

@Evmerritt,

To make sure that C: has geometry errors we need to find LOG files.
    Please try to search for stubact.log, pwlog.txt & BioNTlog.txt files inside the directory where B&R is installed.

Then please upload the files to FTP using credential from Private message.

11. 800ster

800ster Registered Member

Hi, was there a resolution to this issue?

I am also seeing the same thing with HDM2011 showing my system partition (all of a 32GB SSD) to be invalid (looks OK in Windows 7 x64 disk mgmt). This seems to happen every time I shutdown and can be fixed (until next shutdown) by booting into the HDM WinPE rescue CD and resizing partition. System boots and seems to run fine though and I have the logs. Thanks

12. 800ster

800ster Registered Member

More experimenting and the problem is repeatable if the system partition is resized using HDM2011. Now I have resized using Windows Disk management the problem has not reappeared.

13. Mech_An

Hi 800ster,

could you please provide detailed description of the situation you have with HDM2011 and log files?
    Please upload all logs files which could be useful to FTP using credentials from private message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.